Clothes Dryer Heating Element Stays On

Hello All,
I have a Kenmore electric dryer of unknown age.
The symptom was the standard "no heat."
I tested the reg / low thermostats and the hi limit thermostat. Those tested out ok. I was next going to test the heating coil itself, so I plugged the dryer in. To my surprise, the heating element came on, even though the dryer motor was not running.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what position the timer motor is in. The heating element comes on whenever the dryer is plugged in.
Any thoughts? My guess is maybe a defective centrifugal switch?
Thanks, Brian
Just unplug the dryer when you are not using it. Des

Those tested

plugged the

the dryer

motor is in.

Yikes.....kinda dangerous, esp if the dryer shuts off and no one is around to unplug it!! :~0

The exact same thing happened to my Amana. It was the centrifical switch.

Hi,
The motor centrifugal switch may be bad or has some lint stuck in it, but a grounded heating element is more common.
http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html What is a grounded geating element.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N367 http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N$38 http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NR5502
A few common Kenmore elements.