Closing off a fireplace

Hi,
I want to install a wood stove where my fireplace is. I don't like the look of putting a stove in front of the fireplace opening.
Is it possible to close off the fireplace with brick, and drywall over top? Then cut a hole thru so the stove pipe can connect to the chimney liner?
Thanks, Jeff

Google with stove fireplace conversion produced the following among many others:
http://www.stovemaster.com/html_en/fireplace_conversion.html
lee