closet over staircase -- adding storage

I have a closet near my front door. The closet is over a staircase and therefore has use of only the top two thirds. The bottom third is boxed in with drywall. I'd like to put drawers or some sort of storage there. I am not too good at thinking this up myself and am a visual learner. Can anyone direct me to some books or websites that show how to utilize that space?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Terry

Actually, it's simple enough to plan out yourself. Figure out what kind of stuff you want to store in the top 2/3rd and whether that kind of stuff is more suited for open storage (shelves, racks, wire baskets, etc.) or closed storage (drawers, or a weird angular armoire of sorts custom-built for that odd little spot). Just get yourself a mess of blank paper, sketch out the spot, and divide it up but being sure you give ample space for everything so you're not temped to cram a lot of stuff in there and make it all tough to manage.

Personally, I'd opt for wood or wire shelves and wire baskets running up along the end(s) instead of drawers or things with open-out doors. That space is within what basically amounts a big door/drawer already, and having to open doors and drawers within that confined space may get to be a bit too pain in the assy after awhile, especially if you have to fight a narrow hallway or a closet door as it is just to get to the closet when it's empty.

I'd also prefer shelves, baskets and racks because unlike drawers and doored things, you don't have to build any kind of framing, and you can usually find a lot of adequate Rubbermaid et al wire-rack stuff right in the storage system department at Home Depot or Menard's, and even clear pine boards are pretty cheap if you like wood instead of wire. Shelves and racks only require the proper mollys or toggle bolt thingamajigs that grip the backside of the drywall between the walls. Wire baskets stand on their own.

Just one guy's opinion.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

== I hoped to put wheeled baskets on shelves in my basement stairway but my son is 6'7" and by the time I cleared his head, there was no room for shelves. Gotta solution for that glitch? (I could really use the storage space) == == ...................................

Reply to
Gini

Are you sure the part that is boxed in is not required for head room for the stair? TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Since I don't know the measurements (height, width, and depth) of your closet and how you're using the closet now, it's kinda hard to offer maybe a helpful suggestion or two. Could you post that info in response? It'd give a clearer picture.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott