Clear glass shower doors?

Page 1 of 2

So I'm redoing the bathroom with a tub surround and some bypass doors for showering. I had figured on using obscured glass doors, but I might have a bead on a good deal for some doors with clear glass.
My concern is that clear glass shower doors will reveal any soap scum on them a lot quicker than obscured glass versions.
So, what kind of cleaning routine will be necessary with clear glass shower doors vs. obscured glass shower doors?
Thanks,
Jon

Wipe them down with a squeegee right after the shower.
RicodJour wrote:

Hmmm, thanks Ricod. I don't know how consistent I'd be with that however....
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

I hear ya. But Dow Scrubbing Bubbles would make cleaning the glass a snap. If I had to have shower doors again I'd get the clear glass, myself. I really hate the old style glass doors.
nancy

Wipe them down with a squeegee right after the shower.
Excellent advice. My wife and I have followed this procedure for years.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 03:26:07 -0500, "James Dent"

This will make it even easier and keep it cleaner:
http://www.autobarn.net/ac20002.html
You won't believe the difference between this and a regular squeegee.
On Oct 22, 9:09am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yep. I have a couple or three of the silicone squeegees and they are great.
The recommendations to use chemicals I find odd. Cleaning is a mechanical process unless you let it go, then it becomes a chemical process. I try not to use chemicals to overcome my laziness. Hmmm, that could be taken a lot of ways! ;)

Rico-
So you've substituted sandpaper (400 grit?) for soap? j/k
I hear you on the chemicals vs mechanical but for some situations chemicals are the way to go. I admit the use of chemicals (but I think it prevents the triggering of my laziness because I'll tackle a job that might otherwise seem daunting)
But back to the OP's original question....... a quick wipe when the shower is done will keep the glass looking great for a LONG time with minimal work. If the squeegee is easily available it becomes an automatic end the one's shower.
cheers Bob
Smitty Two wrote:

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Sounds like the squeegee is the way to go if one is intent upon keeping the solid surfaces clean in there; just have to see if I can teach myself a new trick. :)
Jon

Jon-
See if oyu can hang the squeegee in a convenient location within the shower stall
...of course, your wife or SO might object but having it easily available makes all the difference when it comes to using it on a regular basis. It becomes an easy habit in no time.
cheers Bob
Jon Danniken wrote:

You can teach yourself. But good luck on the kids and guests.

Do you expect your guests to do the dishes, empty the cat litter pan, etc.? They're guests! Unless you have a revolving door for the guests, the odd shower here and there won't really make a difference...unless _you_ are not taking showers everyday!
As far as the kids, it is the parents' job to teach them maintenance such as brushing their teeth, flushing the toilet and cleaning what they use. Shower squeegeeing falls into this last category. If you start the kid early it becomes a habit and second nature.

I've gone from towel to squeegee and back to towel (tub/curtain) without detecting any variation in what little might be left of what I've come to refer to as my former youthful industriousness.
Some say I've always been lazy but arguing seems like too much effort considering all the ancient evidence they can't seem to let go of.
I think a towel is easier and more effective getting the inside corners, the unused soap dish and the shiny parts. I dry me first and let what water will shed shed, then give it all a quick wipe. -----
- gpsman

I have clear. Generally they look like obscured. I did have a maid for a while. Once she figured out they were clear she did do a good job of keeping them clean. I have no idea how. I am content with them looking obscured.
Pat wrote:

Hehe, that's what I'm afraid of. :)
Jon

Sweegee or "shower spray" after shower squirt on product
its not that hard to keep them clear but does depends on water quality
cheers Bob

Lime away or another acidic lime removal product used often is the best way to keep them clean, but mine are frosted and the maid hasnt been her in 3 years, they are still frosted.
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:03:24 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Shower curtains are better than sliding glass doors. No scummy tracks to deal with, and unlike a door, the curtain moves easily and completely out of the way.
After my builder installed glass shower door shattered into 3 million pieces when it slipped from my wet grip as I opened it (it flew into the tiled wall towel bar), I went to a local plastics shop and had them cut me a piece of plexiglass to replace it.
I chose a mottled pattern from several offerings on the display floor - 1/4 inch thick, and it was reasonably priced.
I'd never again have glass shower or tub enclosure doors - too much potential for disaster.
Joe
Phisherman wrote:

I understand it is a matter of personal taste, and I have run into other people who prefer a curtain.
Personally, I consider a shower door to be exponentially better than a curtain.
To each his own.
Jon