Cleaning softwood floors?

We've just gotten a 19th century Victorian that has original softwood floors -- they may be pine, but I'm not sure. They've been refinished with what looks like a very dark stain, with wax over it.
We want to thoroughly clean the floors before the furniture comes (the previous owner kept animals, I think).
Can anyone suggest the best way to clean these floors without ruining the finish?
Thanks!