Cleaning rugs

Several of my rugs have dirt areas (in front on favaorite chairs) I was thinking of getting one of those whole house clean services for the rugs. Should I use dry or wet (stanley steamer), Thanks I have a bissell scrubber, but was thinking the services might do a better first job. Oh, worried about chemicals since my one year old daughter is still crawling.

Reply to
allan

That reference is content-free. Sections 10, 11 and 12 are empty. These deal with toxicology, environmental hazards and disposal. But it does say to wear nitrile gloves.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

You might just rent a hot water extractor and go without any chemicals. The hot water and suction action takes care of most of the dirt, and won't leave behind any residue to either hurt your child or to trap dirt in the future.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

A pro can do a better job than any home machine. The chemicals are fairly benign, but I'd keep the one year old off the floor for at least a day anyway. IMO, the wet chemicals are probably better than residue left behind by dry chemicals. Check with the service anyway to be sure of what they are using.

Here is info on the Rug Doctor. Keep in mind, this for the full concentrate and it will be diluted in use.

Edwin Pawlowski

Good advice. I was in the office of a rug cleaning company when they fielded a call from someone who claimed the stuff they used damaged their carpet. As it turns out, the only thing they have on their trucks was Ivory Flakes. That's about as mild as it gets. Of course not all companies use the same product and even with just Ivory Flakes, I agree with your suggestion.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The instructions apply to the full concentrate. You probably use bleach in some of your laundry with no harm, but you'd not want to spill the full strength on your hands. The same would apply to most any cleaning solution.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski