Cleaning A Formica Kitchen Counter ?

Hello:
Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica.
Over the last few years there are some stains of various sorts, several apparently from the (dirty) bottom of bowls, etc., that seem impervious to any cleaning I have tried, as well as lots of the hardware store variety of commercial household cleaners.
Anyone suggest any that won't mark or discolor the lightly colored Formica ?
Thanks, B.
| Hello: | | Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica.
plastic laminate.......formica is a brand name.
| | Over the last few years there are some stains of various sorts, several | apparently from the (dirty) bottom of bowls, etc., that seem impervious to | any cleaning I have tried, as well as lots of the hardware store variety of | commercial household cleaners.
install "nev-mar" plastic laminate. dirty bowls.............and you eat out of them? maybe all you need is a dish washer.
try cleaning it with dish soap first (countertop not bowls) or use denatured alcohol.
if they are black marks.....try a pencil eraser.
| | Anyone suggest any that won't mark or discolor the lightly colored Formica ? | | Thanks, | B. | |
| Hello: | | Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica.

Could be his 'plastic lamininate' IS the Formica brand.... how would you know?
| | Over the last few years there are some stains of various sorts, several | apparently from the (dirty) bottom of bowls, etc., that seem impervious to | any cleaning I have tried, as well as lots of the hardware store variety of | commercial household cleaners.

So, the counter top is a little stained, and he should replace it instead of cleaning it? That makes no sense at all.

When you take a clean bowl out of the cabinet and use it, it generally becomes a dirty bowl. Often times people set these on their counter. Imagine the horror and shame he must feel for dirtying a bowl then setting it on his kitchen counter. Shame on him!

You volunteering to do the job for him?

Pencil erasers are abrasive, they will leave little scuff marks.
Sheesh....
Kate O|||||||O
|| Hello: || || Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica. | | >plastic laminate.......formica is a brand name. | | Could be his 'plastic lamininate' IS the Formica brand.... how would you | know?
what the heck is "lamininate"? are you stuttereerering again kate relax, take a deep breath..................ok..............go..................
it's all about the dollars.....................not the sense.
| | >dirty bowls.............and you eat out of them? | | When you take a clean bowl out of the cabinet and use it, it generally | becomes a dirty bowl. Often times people set these on their counter. Imagine | the horror and shame he must feel for dirtying a bowl then setting it on his | kitchen counter. Shame on him! | | >maybe all you need is a dish washer. | | You volunteering to do the job for him?
cat fight.........cat fight........................ nah, you can have the job I hear you are great at diferent jobs............. hand, blow............etc.
| | >try cleaning it with dish soap first (countertop not bowls) | >or use denatured alcohol. | | >if they are black marks.....try a pencil eraser. | | Pencil erasers are abrasive, they will leave little scuff marks.
no they don't leave scuff marks, wake up bitch.
| | Sheesh....
you are in my sight Kate Oo|||+|||oO|
|| Hello: || || Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica. | | >plastic laminate.......formica is a brand name. | | Could be his 'plastic lamininate' IS the Formica brand.... how would you | know?
what the heck is "lamininate"? are you stuttereerering again kate relax, take a deep breath..................ok..............go..................
LOL! La la la ck of c c c offfffeeeeeeee
ya nut
Kate O|||||||O
it's all about the dollars.....................not the sense.
| | >dirty bowls.............and you eat out of them? | | When you take a clean bowl out of the cabinet and use it, it generally | becomes a dirty bowl. Often times people set these on their counter. Imagine | the horror and shame he must feel for dirtying a bowl then setting it on his | kitchen counter. Shame on him! | | >maybe all you need is a dish washer. | | You volunteering to do the job for him?
cat fight.........cat fight........................ nah, you can have the job I hear you are great at diferent jobs............. hand, blow............etc.
| | >try cleaning it with dish soap first (countertop not bowls) | >or use denatured alcohol. | | >if they are black marks.....try a pencil eraser. | | Pencil erasers are abrasive, they will leave little scuff marks.
no they don't leave scuff marks, wake up bitch.
| | Sheesh....
you are in my sight Kate Oo|||+|||oO|
Hi Robert,
Go to WalMart, pick up a jug of Greased Lightning and a box of Mr Clean Magic erasers. You might also buy a bottle of Soft Scrub or Bon Ami. They clean well without scratching.
Spray the countertop well with Greased Lightning and then smear it around. Let it soak for a couple of minutes. Then use a terry cloth rag and hot water to scrub it and rinse the soap off. If you have any stains or crud left Magic erasers should remove them without damaging the surface. The erasers work with plain water not soap.
NEVER use anything like a green scotch brite on your countertops, they will scratch. You are much safer with Soft Scrub. It has bleach. Products with bleach should not be mixed with ammonia or Greased Lightning, makes toxic fumes.
To give it a nice finish after you're all done you can put a little Pledge on it and buff it to a nice shine. Your mom will be proud!
Best of luck to you!
Kate O|||||||O
Hello:
Have a kitchen counter that is covered in Formica.
Over the last few years there are some stains of various sorts, several apparently from the (dirty) bottom of bowls, etc., that seem impervious to any cleaning I have tried, as well as lots of the hardware store variety of commercial household cleaners.
Anyone suggest any that won't mark or discolor the lightly colored Formica ?
Thanks, B.
| Hi Robert, | | Go to WalMart, pick up a Magic eraser.
| you are in my site Oo|||+|||oO

Household bleach will remove most fruit/vegetable stains very quickly, and won't discolor Formica. I would try a 50:50 mixture of bleach and warm water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid added. Cover the area, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then wipe with an old towel. Wear old clothing and rubber gloves.
Household bleach will remove most fruit/vegetable stains very quickly, and won't discolor Formica. I would try a 50:50 mixture of bleach and warm water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid added. Cover the area, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then wipe with an old towel. Wear old clothing and rubber gloves.
------- ... and don't mix bleach with Dawn dish soap, again, it will create a noxious gas.
Kate O|||||||O
wrote | | Household bleach will remove most fruit/vegetable stains very quickly, | and won't discolor Formica.
I would try a 50:50 mixture of bleach and | warm water with a small amount of dishwashing liquid added. Cover the | area, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then wipe with an old towel. Wear | old clothing and rubber gloves. | | ------------------------------------------------------------------- | ... mix bleach with Dawn dish soap, it will create a | non toxic gas. | | Kate you are in my site Oo|||+|||oO
| Kate you are in my site Oo|||+|||oO
I see you seeing me :
You're a kick Cindy.. good sense of humor.
Kate O|||||||O

I second this but what I have done is to lay down a rag and wet it with the bleach. To keep down the evaporation/smell you can cover the rag with some plastic film.
--

Roger Shoaf