Replacing Formica Kitchen Counter Top

The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top. Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new complete counter? I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Reply to
ron

Formica! ;-)

Seriously, there's no reason you can't put a new layer of formica over the old. Just scratch the old surface with a course sandpaper and thoroughly clean and degrease to ensure the new formica and adhesive will have a good bond.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

If you're interested in tiling, there is a thinset available that can be applied directly to formica without any scarifying necessary. You could put a nice granite coutertop on for about $4.50 / sq. ft. I'm thinking about doing my formica coutertops like this.

BRW

Reply to
bennet