Blow new insulation on top of batts, leaving air pockets underneath?

In my attic I have 1-6 inches of loose fiberglass (some of it has been disturbed pretty good, thats why it varies so much), with 6 inch batts on top of that.

I'm having a contractor blow in some additional loose fiberglass, and he says its ok to just pile it on top of the batts, even though there may be almost no insulation underneath them in some places. I assumed we'd need to move all the batts to one side, blow in the fill, then move them to the other side and repeat.

Is it ok to have 4+ inch air pockets under the batts? It just seems wierd, having no insulation directly on the other side of the ceiling.

Reply to
zirconx9

Sure. While it might be better to have those voids filled with insulation, I doubt if it would be worth the trouble to do so.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure, give the man a couple of hundred extra dollars to straighten out your batts.

Reply to
DK