Clean vent hood

My vent hood was built with wood over it, above the hood, is a cabinet. The wood vent hood and the cabinet are covered with old grease from years. We tried to clean it with "orange" cleaning stuff and also with 409 spray thing but doesn't work. It's very sticky.

Is there an stronger solution so we can get the grease out.

Your suggestion is very much appreciated.

April

Reply to
april

Your finish is probably shot as grease eats finishes if its been left on for years. You may find removing the grease leaves bare wood, reqiuring refinishing. If its that bad refinishing may be best.

Reply to
m Ransley

Old grease over a clear finish seems, eventually, to soften the finish. With that in mind, mineral spirits is a good solvent and relatively safe (flammable, though). I've used it to remove greasy residue, but the finish may come off with the grease.

Fantastic is stronger than 409, but again the finish may come off with the grease. Fantastic with a 3m scrubber works very well.

Fine steel wool might do the trick but will gum up easily.

Reply to
NorMinn