Clean Oven Glass?

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan

Razor blade scraper. Stovetop cleaner might work. Don't use Fantastic or green 3M pads.

Reply to
Norminn

Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades until clean. Frank

Reply to
Frank

My mother ruined a toaster oven trying to clean it. Here's what you can do:

Carefully remove the glass, spray it (outside) with oven cleaner standing upwind, wait 15 minutes, brush using a toothbrush, then rinse with cold water. Repeat the procedure if needed. Wear rubber gloves, old clothing, and eye-protection. Do not attempt to use oven cleaner inside the toaster oven.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd like to caution against using a razor blade (or anything harder than glass). You can scratch the glass which makes it more difficult to clean later.

Reply to
Phisherman

Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) does a pretty good job. Careful, though, If yours is like mine there's decals on the door. Alcohol takes them off to.

Dan wrote:

Reply to
trbo20

Oven Off!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Why? You are more likely to etch glass with an acid than a base. Easy Off is sodium hydroxide in a foam and it doesn't hurt glass. I always use Easy Off to clean fireplace glass.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Strong caustics etch glass. Acids (except HF) do not. You can get away with using with short contact times, making sure you wash all the caustic off. BTW, one drop of caustic in your eye could blind you. Make sure you use eye and skin protection when using.

Also, I've never had a problem with careful use of razor blade although I would not use one on window glass.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Dan,

Bon Ami won't scratch the glass and will remove this baked on crud.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I have used a fresh SOS soap pad to clean my toaster oven glass for years with NO ill effects. I don't bear down hard, and I think the soap tends to act as a lubricant. I remove the glass door and so this in the sink.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Horsepucky. Been doing it without any problem for 30 or more years on a toaster oven; an oven; a wood stove, and glass fireplace screens.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Interesting. I would have thought that using horsepucky would make the glass even dirtier.

Reply to
trbo20

Since when is a razor blade harder than glass?

Reply to
tnom

It's not, but close in hardness. Who knows the hardness of the crud on the glass? I recommend a nylon net to clean the glass along with lye. Use safety and caution when handling strong alkalines. You can rinse the glass with white vinegar which cleans again while neutralizing any lye residue.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's not even close.

Reply to