clarification, was: any washing machines that still pump water through a lint filter?

Indeed, two completely different items under discussion.
My olde washing machine, _while washing and agitating_, would suck water from the tub and pump it through a removable/cleanable lint filter (looked like a large shoe shine brush) and spray it over the tops of the clothes. This both made sure the clothes were getting wet and washed [a], and also filtered out lint and other particles - such as leaves - from the water.
The other concept people are discussing was where the washing machine would take the _rinse_ water (which, being the second part of the cycling [b], was pretty clean [not up to drinking standards..]), and divert it away from the sewer line and instead pump it into a holding tank. This water would then be used for the wash cycle, dumped out, and then fresh water brought in for the rinse. (And that new rinse water would be recycled, etc.)
[a] with top loaders nowadays it's often the case that some clothes just stay out with parts of them sticking out of the water, thus never getting properly washed. I actually have to take a stick and push them under...
[b] I personally use a second rinse cycle (so it's wash, rinse, rinse) to clean out the remaining soap.

Eyup. I'd love to have one of those for the water savings.. I've been tempted to jury rig a diverter..
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:57:32 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

Im confused and that's why it took me a long time to answer -- sorry --, but I may have spelled it wrong. We had a machine with Sudsmiser, named after the suds from the wash cycle. I think maybe cold-water rinsing was just getting started, so even though two loads used two batches of rinse water, or maybe four, it didnt' have to be heated, if a housewife could break free of her old habits (or her mother's)
My first year in college, I knew about separating white and colored clothes, and I think I did it, but somehow I washed new maroon gym shorts with the whites and died all my underwear pink. Why didn't they have us wear dark blue gym shorts, at least?