circut breaker trips

as soon as I turn on my dryer the circut breaker trips off. would this be a problem with the breaker or the dryer? The dryer is only 2 years old.

even guess at the answer.
Gas or electric dryer?
Does the circuit breaker really trip the instant you turn on the dryer, or is there a discernible delay?
Most dryers have an air-only setting; does the problem occur on that setting, too, or just when it's set on a heating cycle?
What is the amperage of the circuit breaker?
What is the amperage listed on the dryer's electrical rating plate?
Did this problem start suddenly, or has it been intermittent and growing worse over time?
If the problem started suddenly, did any unusual event (fire, flood, lightning strike, mechanical damage, etc.) occur shortly before it started?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Now if this was asked on alt.hvac six responders would for sure tell him to install a new wall thermostat. <G>
Nicely posed diagnostic questions Doug, you should charge more.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

.. and touch off another two-week flame war.

Thanks, Jeff, I'm thinking about raising my rates. <g> We'll see what the OP comes back with, and then maybe we'll have something to work with.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:05 -0300, Jeff Wisnia

And if it was me with the dryer problem. I'd answer them.

Mark Lloyd

Alt.Hvac is trade newsgroups for tradesman. Not an appropriate group for homeowners at all.
wingnut wrote:

If your dryer has a plug on it, unplug it. If the breaker resets, the problem probably has something to do with the dryer

a frequent cause in a electric dryer is a failed heating element, they tend to break and ground to the case
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:14:43 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

That's the one I want in the office pool. ;-) Just be sure you unplug the dryer before you start taking it apart. Usually you have 2 choices on the element. You can buy the whole assembly that is a simple swap or you can just buy the Nichrome wire coil and re-string the heater. That can be a tad bit harder but a lot cheaper.

Yes.
Use an ammeter to tell if the dryer is drawing enough current to justify the trip.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"fencingmom" <u38466@uwe> wrote in message news:7a14de95c79b4@uwe...
fencingmom wrote:

My crystal ball says, "as soon" is so very typical of a grounding. I doubt its the breaker.
Sadly that's the only clue given.