circuit breaker

Hi all,
I installed a dishwasher with the power cord plugged into a GFI wall unit in the kitchen. I plan on direct wiring the dishwasher to the circuit breaker, but in the mean time I have witnessed some puzzling developments. I selected the Pots and Pans button on the dishwasher and turned it on. After opening the door to add a few dishes, the GFI wall unit circuit breaker tripped. I reset it and turned the dishwasher back on and all went well as long as I did not stop the dishwasher. On one occasion, half of the first floor electric went out when the dishwasher was off. Today the main circuit breaker tripped once with the dishwasher on and once with it off and there were other appliances running at the same time (Dryer, Range, 2 Fridges, and 2 computers). If the dishwasher was running when all of these instances happened, it would be a no brainer. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks for any help
Bob

This is Turtle.
You have it plugged into a receptical in the kitchen and not on a circuit by it'self and running other appliances with it. It sounds like the dish washer is a little big of a load to try to run with anything else. You need to check the manufactor tag out and see what size load the dishwasher is required to have run the correct wire / breaker / single circuit and have it right before tring to run with other appliances.
TURTLE

fixed appliances require separate circuits, not a GFCI. The motor and heating element may cause tripping of the GFCI. You should install a separate 20 amp 120 volt circuit, providing that you are in the USA. Tripping the main is an occurrence that happens. It is predictable to a point. I just had a guy wire up a water heater timer and he managed to short the phases together in the timer. Dumped the main. I was on line and was not impressed.

Thanks SQlit