Check Your Furnaces

Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace even if it's running fine...
My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired up, so I suspected a dirty flame sensor. When I opened the panel I found water (and a little rust) under the drip collector for the vent pipe. When I pulled the vent pipe out and looked down into the collector, I found that it was cracked along the back wall. When the exhuast blower came on, water would leak out the back and drip onto the "shelf".
I know this wasn't the cause of my initial problem but I wouldn't have found it if I hadn't been looking for something else.
It was just a reminder that even when things seem to be going OK, we should be inspecting our appliances on a regular basis - just in case.

Thanks !
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:44:32 -0800 (PST), "gnu/linux"

Another reason NOT to own a "high deficiency" furnace!!!!

I suppose you still use a horse and buggy. Why get into those new fangled 4-wheel gas machines that require more than hay and a visit from the Vet every now and then. MLD

No, but I chose to purchace a good MID efficiency furnace instead of the condensing version on advice from several furnace dealers in the area. Even at todays gas prices, the savings from a GOOD non condensing furnace to the condensing model will hardly pay for the earlier required repair/replacement of the condensing furnace.
I went with 2 stage burner, DC fan and 2 speed eductor fan.
Several neighbours and my brother bought high efficiency condensing furnaces within the last 10 years and have replaced them already due to required repairs being more expensive than replacement (and in 2 cases after having spent over $1000 on repairs already)
All were (different) brand name furnaces.

There is not as much of a difference between the two types of furnaces as you might think. i have a condensing furnace and it's been running just fine for the past two years. Who knows how everything will turn out but for now but if there is a problem I'm pretty well covered for all key components (electronic and hardware) via the Gas Company Service plan. Too bad those that spent over $1000 didn't have a service contract. MLD
MLD wrote:

With 10 year parts and lifetime heat exchanger warranties I don't understand why the $1,000 repair. Show me the money?
--
Zyp

On BOTH with the high repair costs, the electronic control boards failed. First one covered by warrany in both cases. Second also on my brothers, and when the third one went the dealer said he would NOT fix it again and gave him a reasonable credit towards a new furnace.
These controllers were something like $600 Canadian EACH, plus installation.
To be fair, after the furnace was replaced the neighbour found an aftermarket board was available at about half the price, but the third time his went I had soldered on some jumpers to patch the burned out board and got him through the winter. He was not willing to spend even another $100 on it.

Therse furnaces can be very reliable based on my experience.
I bought a 94% efficiency condensing furnace in 1984 when Heil first introduced it, and only replaced it last year after 23 years of extremely reliable service. It was still running fine at the time I had it removed and replaced and the used furnace actually brought $350 in the local swap sheet / craigslist. I bought another Heil of the same type to replace it.
Smarty
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What panel is that? you mean the ignitor transformer plate? How is water getting in there? Are you on the burner? That's where the flame sensor is.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

Refer to this document:
http://www.aitons.com/2004pdfs/HC-GL-98.pdf
Look at the picture of the upflow furnace on page 1. In the upper left you'll see the top of the tail piece where the vent pipe goes into the furnace.
Then scroll down to the lower half of page 4 and look at the picture of the interior under "UPFLOW ACCESSORIES" . The tail piece goes into a right-angle fitting that connects to the exhaust blower and also drains down to the condensate trap in the bottom section.
There was a crack starting at the top of the tailpiece and extending about 4" down. Whenever the blower came on, water would leak from the crack and pool under the fitting on upper shelf. I replaced the tailpipe and right-angle fitting last night and all is well - so far.