Chattering screw-drive 3/4hp Craftsman GDO

Just purchased and installed a new Sears 3/4hp garage door opener with a screw drive mechanism. I am looking for durability, speed (on the box it claims faster speed over 1/2hp), and quiet operation.

Installation was straightforward and simple, but the long screw inside the channel "chatters" during operation. Still chatters after disconnecting the door and running the opener itself. The door itself opens/closes quietly...the noise is from the GDO. Sears claims this model never need lubrication.

Also it does not have any apparent speed advantage over my neighbors' 1/2hp openers. But mine is noisier!

Otherwise it works, but I am not happy with this expensive purchase. Any suggestions other than taking it all down and returning this to Sears?

Reply to
Ron

Call their service dept and see if they can fix it under warranty.

Reply to
Art

IMO a screw drive will always be noiser than chain/cable pull. I don't think they are any faster given equal HP.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If you take it down you might consider a Wayne Dalton I-Drive opener. I think they sell them a Lowes. THey are available for non Wayne Dalton doors and fit right above the door and there is no big rail to put up. My parents have had the one made for a WD door for over a year and so far so good.

Reply to
Art

I would assume you have a three piece rail & the chatter is probably in the splices. Check to make sure all the splice collars are in place properly. If they are in place I would call Sears (as someone else also suggested)to see what they will do, but I would not consider "chattering" to be normal on this unit.

The screw does not need to lubricated. There is an inner liner (usually yellow) between the screw & the rail & therefore the metal screw does not rub on the rail. I have never noticed that the 3/4 hp runs any faster then the 1/2 hp either but higher speed openers are not good for some garage doors & will literally tear apart some types of doors. The one-piece screw drive rails runs pretty quiet but the belt drive is quieter then the screw drive & the dc belt drive is the most quiet.

Doordoc

Doordoc

The splice collars are fine. The chattering is metallic, coming along the length of the screw in various places. Sears has not responded to my email yet. I can live with the normal speed of the GDO, but the noise is a bit much. Makes it sound cheap.

Reply to
Ron

Read the warranty and if it includes in home service call the phone number and make them come out and fix it.

Reply to
Art