change two sink vanity top to single bowl

Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity for as cheaply as possible.
Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to the center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the wall?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Angela
angelasg wrote:

You can probably do it. Take some photos under there or make a damned good sketch. Run over to the BigBox or a good hardware store and ask for opinions based on what is there now.
There are a number of variables which will make it difficult for this to be answered with any accuracy on a forum like this.
Jim
| Right now I have a 60" double bowl vanity in my bathroom. I hate it | because the sinks take up all the surface area and there is no counter | space to put my stuff. I want to change it to a single bowl vanity for | as cheaply as possible. | | Could I change the top and simply redirect the pipes on one side to the | center using some additional pipes and u-joints and then cap off the | other side or would I have to have a plumber move the pipes inside the | wall? | | Any help would be greatly appreciated. | Angela |
yes it can be done even if you have a drawer base in the middle of the vanity. of course you will lose the top drawer.
the sagacious dolt wrote:

It would seem very likely you can go to a single bowl and make the plumbing connection without changing anything in the wall. Probably don't need to cap off anything either. Just figure out what you need to go from the drain pipe in the wall to the new single bowl location.
But, on another note, have you considered other alternatives, like adding a shelf or similar nearby? For resale value, people today like baths with 2 sinks. And I would think going from 2 bowl to 1 bowl is going to impact resale negatively, even if the 2 bowls are on a relatively small vanity. Buyers will notice 1 vs 2 long before they figure out any problems with counter top space.
Thanks for the advice. I realize that, but I plan to be here for a while. I'd rather have what's comfortable for me and then spend money again when it's time to sell to put the two bowls back rather than have to deal with the lack of counter space.

says...

Hear hear. Houses are for the living.
If, when the time finally comes to sell, the market is slow, putting in two bowls is not that big a deal. But, by then, the home-and-garden shows will probably be touting some other feature, and folks won't care. (Maybe a separate bathroom for each will become deriguer.)
Don't fix your house up for other people. Especially other people in some other time.
Banty