Chainsaw Recoil Spring

I went out to cut some wood last weekend and when I pulled the starter cord, it came out of the saw. This is a Poulon Pro 5020 AV. I took it back in to fix it but it would only recoil half way after being pulled out.
I foolishly started undoing things and the coil spring unsprung. I've had a few sessions trying to get it back but it's not easy. I found some YouTube videos on the subject which may help.
Any suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.
Paul
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 12:38:50 PM UTC-7, Pavel314 wrote:

My solution was to take it to the "fix-it" guy in town...dtwice
Harry K
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 2:02:01 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:

in to fix it but it would only recoil half way after being pulled out.

Tube videos on the subject which may help.

I've about come to that conclusion after a third frustrating attempt yester day evening. Just one more thing to try before giving up; I ordered a sprin g which comes coiled up with a restraining band. In theory, I should just b e able to slip it into the depression, slip off the band, and bolt everythi ng down. If that don't work, off to the fix-it guy.
Paul
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 2:43:53 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:

k in to fix it but it would only recoil half way after being pulled out.

ouTube videos on the subject which may help.

ing which comes coiled up with a restraining band. In theory, I should just be able to slip it into the depression, slip off the band, and bolt everyt hing down. If that don't work, off to the fix-it guy.

I can fix just about anything on my saws except for that damn spring. A wo rd of caution - if you have a metal spring inside a plastic housing, don't apply oil to the spring to make it slip easier. Plastic & oil just don't g et along together.
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:38:04 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

last 30 years - take out the spring, heat the broken end to dull red and bend to shape of the end that broke off - heat it again and quench it, then heat to a light straw and quench in oil. Rewind the slinky and re-install. I wind the spring inside a chunk of plastic drain pipe the right size and then pop it out of the pipe into the starter case. Takes a couple tries, usually.
On 8/11/15 3:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odAz8MZPbZQ
I don't know if your starter looks like this, but it resembles the Wisconsin Robin starter on the string trimmer I've had 30 years.
Rewinding the spring was easier after the first time, but I'm foggy. Maybe I found a way to clamp bars in, to keep it from coming out as I worked, but I think I just got good at moving my thumbs to hold down the spring as I wound it against the inside of the housing.