Filters

Anyone know how to filter posts that are made by the same individual, but who uses a different email address each day?

Reply to
Burke Filter

Go to junk folder and block Domain.

Anyone know how to filter posts that are made by the same individual, but who uses a different email address each day?

Reply to
tony944

Burke Filter pretended :

Outlook Express kind of sucks for filtering, but I think, IIRC, you can choose the block sender and edit the email part out of the string so that the name only triggers the filter. Of course, he can still evade it if he wants to. You can get a better filtering application to go with OE and get better results.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Balked at this myself but that may be the only answer.

Reply to
Frank

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:10:09 -0700, "Burke Filter" wrote in

Go here

and get yourself a decent newsreader. It has all the filtering capability you will ever need.

Reply to
CRNG

No real solution unless there's something common about all the e-mail addresses then you can use "contains" when setting up the filter.

It's amazing that those people have so much time to spend solely for the purpose of annoying others.

Reply to
sms

Who?

Reply to
Meanie

Even more amazing how some who reply to the idiots, satisfying their pathetic craving for attention.

Reply to
Meanie

E.D. Burka-Jerkagerkin

Reply to
bob_villa

I suppose I should have insert a (sarcasm) since that was my intent.

Reply to
Meanie

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote in

Here's a filter I have that applies to all googlegroups messages:

message-id: @googlegroups.com

The newsgourp: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent is a well behaved group dedicated to the Agent mail/newsgroup reader.

Reply to
CRNG

but who uses a different email address each day?

Sorry for the faux pas. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reply to
bob_villa

You're using Agent 3 I'm using 1.9 which is, of course, earlier. We both just use the simple filters that can be set up in 10 seconds, But begin a filter and then click on Help andy you'll see that it allows filtering using Agent expression language and regular expression language.

And they will help him understand regular expression language, which FTR, confused me. Of course I only spent 3 minutes trying to learn it,

15 years ago.
Reply to
micky

I know about the main one. His mother dropped him on his head when he was a baby. When he was okay, she dropped him 5 more times.

Reply to
micky

I actually met one of the people in my kill-file many years ago at a trade show in San Francisco. I recognized his name on his badge when he came to the booth of the company I was working for. He seemed quite normal. But something about the anonymity of Usenet must somehow change people's online behavior.

Reply to
sms

I agree that nothing is clear.

What about Concatenating Atoms, author: {@domain}

Braces seem to indicate regular expressions.

I think the guys in the Agent ng can advise much better than I.

Reply to
micky

AFAYCT, after snipping my suggestion.

I believe you that there's nothing new in newer versions.

That their deep knowledge of the subject can be no better than yours. Self-confidence is good, but too much of anything can be bad.

You're the one who wanted a filter, not me.

But you have no experience writing regular expressions and certainly not trying to use them to do what you want here.

Reply to
micky

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:47:19 -0700, Oren wrote in

In Agent 8, the filter expression

message-id: @googlegroups.com

filters all messages from the googlegroups.com domain. I don't recall when that feature was introduced.

Reply to
CRNG

Prolly cuz this is a home repair newsgroup, not a newsreader newsgroup. This thread shoulda been posted in:

news.software.readers

nb

Reply to
notbob

When I read this the first time, I didn't take sufficient notice of it.

Is this a regular expression, even though it's not in braces? No, it's clear from the help file that regular expressions use braces.

I don't see in the help file where it permits matching partial fields, but now I see there are 5 more clearly relevant items under "See also". I've never read those. Maybe tonight.

Agent urges people to avoid regular expressions, because they take a lot of time to process. Of course that warning was written when processors ran at 1/10 the current speed or less.

Although maybe I noticed it enough that my suggestion of author: {@domain} might have been based on it.

What else is interesting is that the help fille, afaict, makes only the most indirect reference to filtering on message-id or anything other than subject and author. (But I'm sure that's one of the things that people in the ng know about.)

Reply to
micky