chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50=20 conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas=20 powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and=20 thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and=20 occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is=20 about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,=20 Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with=20 prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies, robb=20

Reply to
robb

I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50 conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight, Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies, robb=20

Reply to
robb

Hi, If I were you I'd buy Stihl or Echo. I have both Echo at home and Stihl out at my cabin. They won't let you down and it will last long time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

For just this task I had earlier a 16" Husqvarna and then a 20" Poulan, both of which were troublesome (and one died). Five years ago I bought (used) a 14" Stihl which does more work, is lighter thus easier to handle, and starts and runs trouble-free.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Do you think all opinions you read here are going to be unanimous!?

Popular Mechanics has several comparisons and reviews. Here's one for what you seem to be looking for:

Note the comments about the carbide chain.

I have no experience using chainsaws, whatsoever, but being a combustion engine freak, I always read other people's opinions/reviews with interest. Seems Stihl and Husqvarna are the two biggies and both are considered top quality by pros and DIY'ers alike. It will probably come down to what which one you like the feel of. You should try both out beforehand by renting one and actually using it.

Tool rental places often have more than one brand and/or model of chainsaw, it being an extremely popular rental item. As a long-ago tool rental mechanic, I can guarantee it's the one place you can go to discover a tool's shortcomings. I can also tell you the biggest maintenance issue with chain saws is constantly sharpening the cutting teeth. Make sure whichever brand you get, the chain is easily accessable and removeable. Also inquire about chain sharpening tools, cuz you'll damn sure be using them. That's why that carbide chain sounded like a good thing. OTOH, while carbide last for a long time, it's even more difficult to sharpen. Good luck.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Go ahead, buy a cheap piece-of-shit Chinasaw...and when it craps out after half a day's use, then go to a Stihl dealer and buy a real chainsaw.

Seriously, I used to buy chinasaws from lowes depot. In my opinion, chinasaws are pure junk. They don't start easily, they don't idle right, they don't run right at high speed, they vibrate like hell and their cheap chinasaw chains constantly stretch and come off. Chinasaws are more trouble than they're worth!

Do yourself a favor - go buy a Stihl.

Reply to
Woody

I can tell you this, do NOT buy a Homelight. They are a piece of junk.

I made about 25 cuts with one and it crapped out. Took it back to HD and got a Poulan Wood Shark. I haven't had any problems with it, but a lot of people in here frown on Poulan.

Reply to
Ron

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight, Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies, robb

This is a troll, right? Best and cheap cannot be used in the same sentence. Except by me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Son and I had problems with both our Poulan Wild Things. Would not buy another Poulan or any other chain saw advertised for occassional use. Only good thing with HD is that they refunded son's purchase after about 3 months.

Reply to
Frank

"robb" wrote in

Do you want to buy one saw or two? If the answer is one, buy a Stihl or Husq.

The alternative is to buy a cheap saw now and the good saw after you get frustrated with the junk and buy a good one next time. If you want a Homelight, look in the wood near me where I tossed it after it did not start again..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Jonsered, Husky, Stihl, Echo are the better brands. 50 years ago it was Homelite...very good but not light weight.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Avoid Poulan, Homelight. Probably Ryobi too. You didn't ask but avoid Sears too.

Maybe, Poulan Pro & Blue Max,not familiar with either.

Consider Stihl, Echo & Husqvarna ________________

Yes. Go look at Stihl...

and try out the product selector link.

Stihl makes saws for varied uses but regardless of the use type, their saws are superior.

Regarding bar length, you probably don't need 18" - 20" for what you want to do. A 14" bar can cut a very sizeable log - up to almost 28" - and a shorter bar means a lighter and easier to use saw.

In 2004 we had a bunch of hurricanes and wound up with 100s of tons of trashed oak debris. I bought a 14" Stihl and there was very little I could not cut; for the too large stuff I bought a longer bar & chain but rarely use them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Echo makes good saws, but they are a little underpowered for the number of cubic inches -- that just means they are detuned a little, which probably adds to their longevity. As far as I know, all Echo saws are "professional" saws, but perhaps low-end pro. Stihl and Husqvarna sell multiple grades of saws, and the lowest grade of Husky (models 235 and 240) are just rebranded Poulans painted orange, although they appear to have better air filters.

Northern Tool has rebuilt Husky 435's (that model is made in Sweden) on sale right now for considerably less than $200. That's probably the best deal around. Next would be an Echo 440 or 500 from Home Depot.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have a Homelite Ranger 33 someone gave me because it wouldn't start

6 years ago. I figured it was junk but I cleaned the carb and it fired up (main jet plugged). I have been using it ever since. It may be junk but as long as it works I will keep it.
Reply to
gfretwell

By the description of what you want to do with one, you need a quality saw. Stay away from all the el cheapo's. Your targt price for a saw that will probably stand up to the work is $300 or above.

The cheap saws are all plastic and flimsy plastic at that. My neighbor bought at Wild Thing and asked me to show him how to use a chainsaw. Right out of the box it would not run. I have been using saws for over 30 years and nothing I could do would make it run more than a few seconds after it ran out the 'choke' charge.

The chain brake handle broke with out any rough handling. Snapped off one side right at the pivot bolt.

The other el cheapos are about the same quality.

You reallyshould buy from a regular dealer because with that use you _will_ going back for service.

Bottom line "the joy of cheap price is paid for by the sorrow of poor quality"

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I suspect you're considering "cheap" because of the anticipated, rare, use.

If I'm correct, consider an electric chain saw (and 200' of extension cord*, possibly home-made). Unlike 2-cycle gas tools, an electric tool will not rot, decay, or develop festering carbuncles if left sitting unused for a year. Electric tools are binary - like a computer. They either work, or they don't. Gas-powered tools are analog: there is a wide range of functioning (works, mostly works, sometimes works, works only in the dark of the moon or a high tide, doesn't work, etc.).

Build yourself a tote-box to carry the saw. Leave room for a quart of oil, spare chain, and the tools necessary to replace/tighten the chain.

Reply to
HeyBub

No to be picky, but you guys must have 'small' acres where you come from. Up here, an acres measures just slightly over 208' on a side.

But, I agree with your comments about the saws. My first one was a Homelite which lasted all of about a year and a half, or about six cords of wood. Scraped it, bought a Stihl 290 and it just keeps on going, and going, and...

Gil

Reply to
Gil

After a couple of years, the Husqvana I had would not start until I made up a fresh can of gas for it every time. It would not start at all with gas that I had mixed up just the day before. I heard that that was common with that brand so I got rid of it. Now, for what little I've been doing lately, I use an axe or a saw. Great exercise for this old feller.

Reply to
Country

Don't cut off your hand.

Reply to
Me

My old German father always used to say "Buy it right, once.". Buy a Stihl. Dick in Ferris, TX

Reply to
Dick Keats