chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

There's also the DC to AC power inverters that can be hooked up to the car to run the electric chainsaw. You just have to drive the car close to the work site.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for that... oh mighty judgmental one.

Reply to
Roy

Breathe. ;-)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

It would take a pretty big inverter. 400W to 600W is a nice size inverter to keep in your truck for powering lights and stuff like that, but it wouldn't pull even a tiny saw.

Those little Remington electric chainsaws you can buy for less than $100 will get the job done, but boy do they suck to use (I have one.) Very uncomfortable to hold, and they don't have an oil pump. The oil is gravity-fed. All the time. Including when the saw is in storage. I have some professional non-safety chains for another saw that just happen to fit the Remington; I should put one on and see if that makes it less of a pain to use.

Stihl makes several electric saws (MSE-180, MSE-220, etc) as do other pro saw makers. That might be a good option. One good thing about an electric is you can use it indoors.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The remington saw is probably designed to work on a pole. I have one I use to trim the palm trees. You can use it as a hand held, but as you say they are not very ergonomic. There are other electrics that are pretty good if you are an occasional user. If you don't use your saw for months at a time and you don't get every drop of fuel out of it before you store it, they will all get cranky to start.

Reply to
gfretwell

Whichever brand you decide on get a professional model, Quality is long remembered ...price is soon forgot.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Trimming cherry trees requires a longer reach more than a thicker cut - which is why I put on the long bar - but the little monster just grunts and goes when I need to cut.

Reply to
clare

I find a full tank works just fine from year to year, as the tank on the Remington is SEALED.

Reply to
clare

When my 30 year old Poulan bit the dust I bought a small Echo like Home Depot sells. It's about a 14" bar length. The thing I don't like about it is that it uses a much narrower chain then the poulan did which has made it very easy for the chain to come off at the slightest twisting of the bar while cutting if there is even the least amount of looseness in the chain. Never had the problem with the Poulan. So if I was in the market again I'd pay attention to the chain width. Othr then that the Echo seems fine for my occasional use.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Maybe you have a longer cutting season than most?! B^)

Reply to
Bob_Villa

There have been yearswhere it has not even been started, much less used a tank of fuel - and it still started the next year.

Reply to
clare

Oh, see the smiley at the end...maybe he was trying to be amusing! he he

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Is that since they started using E-10?

Reply to
gfretwell

yes - except I NEVER put E10 in a 2 stroke engine. Shell Ultra in Canada is E0, so that's what I generally use. I did have LL100 Avgas for a while.

Reply to
clare