Chainsaw bar oil (is motor oil ok in a pinch or does it ruin the chain)?

Page 2 of 2
Harry K wrote:

I'm pretty careful to keep the bar out of the dirt . I'd rather switch saws then swap or sharpen the chains when I'm done for the day . I only have one spare for each saw , but I keep them sharp in case I get stupid . Around here if you touch dirt there's a pretty good chance there's a rock there ... there is a reason they called it Stone County .
--
Snag

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 5:33:41 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

ws

ne

A few years ago I was cutting up a large branch laying on a gravel road. I was very carful but finished a cut and saw a line in the dirt. didn't eve n try another rcut, just got out the tool box and changed chains. :)
Harry K

Try reading the manual. Stihl recommends 10 to 30 wt. oil depending on the temperature if not using regular bar oil.
On 09/16/2015 9:32 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:

Saw vendors generally recommend SAE30/20 for summer/winter as acceptable if specific bar oil isn't available.
I've used the old tractor oil (5W40 CF+) with an addition of about 1:4 to 1:6 STP or the like as a "sticky-ifier" for 20 yr or more. Seems just fine.
I do filter the oil through paper filter when storing and let set and decant the top for use to minimize any particulates.
I have (and do on occasion still) buy/use a commercial bar oil if happen to run across a buy, but when a tractor change (on 100-hr intervals on some) is 18 qt or more, seems a real waste for such low pressure usage to just toss it...

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:27:02 -0500, dpb wrote:

I am amazed at the number of folks utilizing "used" motor oil. If used oil works, I'm sure the new stuff I was contemplating will work.