Chain saw brand

Page 4 of 4

And I've never seen it happen ever, and spent some time as a topper and faller during my student days 40+ years ago But then, I did more than just chop wood to make cords. Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw. Used it to top an old birch that was too close to the cabin. By my drop line, I was 49' up the tree for the first cut, and 35' for the second. That little solo was small and light enough to be comfortable and easy to handle. It was actually fun to put in spikes and climb a tree. The saw was light enough to trim branches one-handed on the way up, and was still strong enough to cut through the trunk. It's now all purpose trimmer saw I'm also using it to teach the wife and kids how to handle a saw.

Can you use it to trim your posts?
On 5/8/2012 10:11 PM, Ron wrote:

as long as they are wood posts and not steel posts.
--
Steve Barker
On 5/8/2012 11:11 PM, Ron wrote:

+1 ROFLMAO!
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump failed and I had repaired under warranty. It only had a few hours on it. Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger lock is broken. My son bought one and it quit working after only a couple of hours use.
I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and the Poulan brand is on my s-list.

My experience with the big box saws is limited to one. My neighbor bought one and asked me to show him how to set it up and use.
1. Would not run. Start on choke jusst fine and die as soon as it was taken off choke. 2. Broke the chainbrake (cheap thin plastic) handle just setting it down crooked.
Saw went back to the store the next day and never cut even a sliver.
Harry K

Agreed that the newer chainsaws are crap Poulan and Sears are now identical except for color scheme. But I have enough of the old (pre-plastic parts) stuff to last the rest of my life.
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

AFAIK, the craftsman saws have always been made by Poulan. We had a Poulan for a while (1980's) until someone decided they liked it better than we did. It worked ok.
--
Steve Barker

History is interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulan
On 5/8/2012 9:39 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

In my many years, I've seen brand quality go up and down in washing machines, lawn mowers and cars. In general, US trend is to make a good product, then find a way to make it cheaper and the brand suffers. Japanese have tended to make a poor, cheap product and make it better. That's when I started buying Japanese cars when their quality exceeded American.
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.
Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.
I had a similar problem, with a saw. My Homelite PS-33 works fine, and idles while I set it down.
I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.
Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

That is true. However, with *any* chain saw, I bet he's back within three years asking about chain saws again. Poulans, Macs, and Echos make mighty fine boat anchors. Other than that, if you use them more than 8 hours total, they ain't worth. MHO only.
Steve

I have an 8 yr old Poulan Wood Shark. Works just fine.

I agree with you on that. I bought a Husky, and although I am happy with it, if I was to go buy another today, I would buy a Sthil. And with a longer bar.
We will go this summer/fall, and gather about ten cords of wood, maybe fifteen. We are rigging up to bring home 16' logs, then cut and split as we take them off the trailer. Last year, I was doing limbing, and small logs, while the two guys with the Stihls were doing the real work, particularly the guy with the 440 Magnum. That's a saw!
Steve
Thank you all for your answers.
I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year. IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after sitting for long periods.
I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

The only fault I see with my husky, the label slips off. It's a sticker. My brother uses an old sears. Probably at least 40 years old. With the husky, never had to pull more than twice, and it does have compression release. I used to use a little piece of crap, from the 60's. Very small. Got my jobs done. I stopped using it when the gas pump went bad.
Greg