Chain saw

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chain saw?
Nothing fancy, but good reputation. For a home owner.
Thanks in advance, Debbie
What size? Gas or electric? Price range? What are you going to use it for?
It is like asking for a recommendation for a good car.
Size: 14"-16" Gas I don't know how much a typical chain saw costs ... $100 - $300 ? Or is that too cheap? Going to use to cut trees for firewood.
I'm sorry, I didn't know I was asking for something that's difficult to recommend. I know next to nothing about chain saws and brands so thought someone had a recommendation.
Debbie
| What size? | Gas or electric? | Price range? | What are you going to use it for? | | It is like asking for a recommendation for a good car. | |

This is Turtle
Been there and done that just here lately. I need a good saw to cut up a tree for fire wood and search out every brand and checked them out. I bought a Stihl MS-310 / 4 Horse power with a 18" bar. I can't remember the real selling price but I bought the MS-310 saw, Seperate 18" Bar & Chain, 6 Oil cans of oil to mix 6 gal. of gas, Leveling file to sharpen the chain, 1 gal. plastic Gas can, 8% sales Tax and Gal. of Chain oil for $396.90 . I think Suggested Retail was about $350.00 + Tax. Now go to a outlet that sells to wood cutters and log haulers and they will cut you some slack on the price.
I have found out just about all the log haulers and pulp wood cutters use this Stihl MS-310 for not having any trouble out of them and having repair later on in in the years of use. Now the saw here is not the mickey mouse type and if your going to get it on. This one will do it.
I cut up a 30" Oak tree in about 1 hours. It took about 3 hours to split it up.
If you wanted to discuss it E-Mail me here and discuss away.
TURTLE
Every tree pro Ive had and seen uses Sthil. If you are cutting near you house, within 50-100 ft consider Sthil Electric, No motor, No noise, No gas to make starting hard, always starts even at -70. But you need a good circuit of proper gauge and 12 ga extensions. Not 14 or 16 Ga. Buy from a pro store that services them as well. Echo would be my second choise. I use Electric since I rarely use them. If use is not every week or 2 use gas stabiliser and run tank dry for extended periods. Also Size of wood to be cut is important, smaller units are easier to handle, you dont want a 4 ft saw for 4" branches. Electrics are fine for smaller work. Ive cut a few 18" trees up fast. But a small gauge cord will burn out a motor fast- Voltage drop. Sthil Is #1 commercial equipment.

What he said. Avoid the cheap brands as they don't last and they can be a real hassle to get running right. Husquevarna is good if you don't have a Stihl dealer nearby. Most important, learn to use one safely and don't take shortcuts. Chain saws can cut a leg off in seconds. Wear goggles, hat and hard shoes. Never cut into the ground as a stone can ruin a blade in a flash. Keep the wife and kids in the house when you are cutting.

This is Turtle
Are those electric saws all that good as compared to gas model in lasting and having any trouble ?
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Hi, I like Stihl saws. They have good service as well. I hate electric anything. They don't have guts. Mower, trimmer, weed eater, saw, snow blower, etc. Tony

The electrics have nowhere near the power and speed. They do have a place though. Many homeowners use a chain saw only once every year or so to cut a few branches. Between uses, the fuel goes bad, you forget how to choke it, it is messy, etc. They are not for cutting up a few cords of wood, but for a few branches, they work.

Stihl makes pretty good equipment. It always (in my experience) starts and is rugged enough to last. I have a weed-wacker, backpack leaf blower, small (029) chain saw and a medium (044) chainsaw - all by Stihl. I'm happy with all of them.
An 044 is overkill unless you live in the deep woods. Your best bet will be something like an 029. DO NOT FORGET to buy the hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff helmet and a pair of chainsaw chaps. These are semi expensive but they will protect you from accidents. They're a whole lot cheaper than leg re-attachment surgery. The hardhat/muff/shield will protect you from hearing loss and will probably keep the chain out of your face in the event of kickback.
Always buy safety chain! You're a homeowner, not a logger and the slightly longer time it takes to cut up a tree isn't going to kill you.
Agreed - I've got the Stihl 029. It's a great saw.
Stay away from the homelites and other "entry level" saws - they're the huffies and schwins of the chainsaw world.
I second the hardhat / chaps notion as well. Dropping trees with a chainsaw is the probably most dangerous thing that most folks will ever do. Safety gear is cheap in comparison.
DebbieG wrote:

thought
and
small
with
be
hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff
will
re-attachment
will
slightly
Also get the right gloves mine threw a branch into my hand , it cut it up.
I went to Stihl's website and I don't see an 029 model. Which model is similar?
Thanks, Debbie
DebbieG wrote: | > > Size: 14"-16" | > > Gas | > > I don't know how much a typical chain saw costs ... $100 - $300 ? Or is | > > that too cheap? | > > Going to use to cut trees for firewood. | > > | > > I'm sorry, I didn't know I was asking for something that's difficult to | > > recommend. I know next to nothing about chain saws and brands so | thought | > > someone had a recommendation. | > | > Stihl makes pretty good equipment. It always (in my experience) starts | and | > is rugged enough to last. I have a weed-wacker, backpack leaf blower, | small | > (029) chain saw and a medium (044) chainsaw - all by Stihl. I'm happy | with | > all of them. | > | > An 044 is overkill unless you live in the deep woods. Your best bet will | be | > something like an 029. DO NOT FORGET to buy the | hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff | > helmet and a pair of chainsaw chaps. These are semi expensive but they | will | > protect you from accidents. They're a whole lot cheaper than leg | re-attachment | > surgery. The hardhat/muff/shield will protect you from hearing loss and | will | > probably keep the chain out of your face in the event of kickback. | > | > Always buy safety chain! You're a homeowner, not a logger and the | slightly | > longer time it takes to cut up a tree isn't going to kill you. | |

The MS-290 is equivalent, but ANY of the MS midrange series will probably do for casual use. An MS-260 or 260-pro looks ok.
As mentioned in several other postings, only buy a saw that you can have serviced locally. Nothing worse than having a problem with a machine that you have to send away to get repaired. Husquavarna is another very high quality chainsaw manufacturer.

Get real. . . Safety goggles and foam ear plugs cost hell of a-lot less & will do the same. Chaps . . .o.k . . & what hell is safety chain? ? the saw already has a anti kickback piece installed on it.. Lady, unless yer cutting wood only 6'' in diameter don't get electric. go to home depot and get a 16'' or 18'' gas saw. average price is 120.00 - 150.00
I like my electric but hate the cord, its cut a few 14" trees down fine, no motor or noise. But without 12 ga cord you can burn it up. They compare to small gas, sthill has a good one. No reason if you keep the voltage at 120 it should outlast gas, electric motors have a longer hr rating than gas. But unless you are nearby running a cord is always a pain. As to how it realy compares a Sthill dealer would now best.

Safety goggles won't keep a saw out of your face in the event of a kick back. Getting hit in the face with a sharp saw chain is going to slash the hell out of you even if it's not spinning because the chain brake stopped it. Buy the hardhat and face shield. It's not that expensive.
Safety chain has a modified tooth pattern and is now required for initial installation on all saws sold with an engine less than 3.8 cubic inches. It cuts slightly slower and has "guard links" to reduce the possibility of kick back. Safety chain will be marked with a blue label, professional non-safety chain will have a yellow label. There's rip chain also which is non-safety. If you buy a spare chain from the dealer, be sure you get safety chain. Both types will work on the saw, but one is better for unskilled (non professional) users.
No safety device will prevent kick back on a hand held saw. The safety chain, modified bar and the chain brake will reduce the likelyhood of getting killed, but they can't save you from making a mistake ( such as being careless in making a plunge cut or having the blade nose hit something behind the tree that your are cutting ).
None of the "Big Box" stores like Home Depot sell professional saws which is what the original poster asked for. Buy the saw from someone who can service it.
DebbieG wrote:

I went with a 16" Husqvarna, but now that I've moved to Colorado (west Denver) I find no one local to me services or sells Husqy, they all do Sthil.
So my recommendation is a 14"-16" gas saw, either Husqy or Sthil - whichever one is supported more in your area.
mikey
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. You've been a big help!
Debbie
041107 1055 - DebbieG posted:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who purchased a new gas engine powered chain saw to replace an old hand push saw, the salesman telling him that this would greatly increase his productivity and ease his workload. A couple of days later the individual returned, found the salesman and told him he was returning the chainsaw. The salesman asked him where it was, and the guy told him it was in the trunk of his car. They went outside, and on the way the guy complained of the sales pitch that was given him about productivity, and ease of workload and said the new chainsaw did none of those things. When they got to the trunk of the car, the guy opened the trunk and the salesman took the chainsaw out of the trunk and pulled on the starter cord, and the saw started up with a roar. The guy said: "What's that noise???"