Chain saw

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chain saw?

Nothing fancy, but good reputation. For a home owner.

Thanks in advance, Debbie

Reply to
DebbieG

What size? Gas or electric? Price range? What are you going to use it for?

It is like asking for a recommendation for a good car.

Reply to
toller

Size: 14"-16" Gas I don't know how much a typical chain saw costs ... $100 - $300 ? Or is that too cheap? Going to use to cut trees for firewood.

I'm sorry, I didn't know I was asking for something that's difficult to recommend. I know next to nothing about chain saws and brands so thought someone had a recommendation.

Debbie

Reply to
DebbieG

This is Turtle

Been there and done that just here lately. I need a good saw to cut up a tree for fire wood and search out every brand and checked them out. I bought a Stihl MS-310 / 4 Horse power with a 18" bar. I can't remember the real selling price but I bought the MS-310 saw, Seperate 18" Bar & Chain, 6 Oil cans of oil to mix

6 gal. of gas, Leveling file to sharpen the chain, 1 gal. plastic Gas can, 8% sales Tax and Gal. of Chain oil for $396.90 . I think Suggested Retail was about $350.00 + Tax. Now go to a outlet that sells to wood cutters and log haulers and they will cut you some slack on the price.

I have found out just about all the log haulers and pulp wood cutters use this Stihl MS-310 for not having any trouble out of them and having repair later on in in the years of use. Now the saw here is not the mickey mouse type and if your going to get it on. This one will do it.

I cut up a 30" Oak tree in about 1 hours. It took about 3 hours to split it up.

If you wanted to discuss it E-Mail me here and discuss away.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Every tree pro Ive had and seen uses Sthil. If you are cutting near you house, within 50-100 ft consider Sthil Electric, No motor, No noise, No gas to make starting hard, always starts even at -70. But you need a good circuit of proper gauge and 12 ga extensions. Not 14 or 16 Ga. Buy from a pro store that services them as well. Echo would be my second choise. I use Electric since I rarely use them. If use is not every week or 2 use gas stabiliser and run tank dry for extended periods. Also Size of wood to be cut is important, smaller units are easier to handle, you dont want a 4 ft saw for 4" branches. Electrics are fine for smaller work. Ive cut a few 18" trees up fast. But a small gauge cord will burn out a motor fast- Voltage drop. Sthil Is #1 commercial equipment.

Reply to
m Ransley

Stihl makes pretty good equipment. It always (in my experience) starts and is rugged enough to last. I have a weed-wacker, backpack leaf blower, small (029) chain saw and a medium (044) chainsaw - all by Stihl. I'm happy with all of them.

An 044 is overkill unless you live in the deep woods. Your best bet will be something like an 029. DO NOT FORGET to buy the hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff helmet and a pair of chainsaw chaps. These are semi expensive but they will protect you from accidents. They're a whole lot cheaper than leg re-attachment surgery. The hardhat/muff/shield will protect you from hearing loss and will probably keep the chain out of your face in the event of kickback.

Always buy safety chain! You're a homeowner, not a logger and the slightly longer time it takes to cut up a tree isn't going to kill you.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Agreed - I've got the Stihl 029. It's a great saw.

Stay away from the homelites and other "entry level" saws - they're the huffies and schwins of the chainsaw world.

I second the hardhat / chaps notion as well. Dropping trees with a chainsaw is the probably most dangerous thing that most folks will ever do. Safety gear is cheap in comparison.

hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff

Reply to
Tim and Stephanie

Also get the right gloves mine threw a branch into my hand , it cut it up.

Reply to
m Ransley

What he said. Avoid the cheap brands as they don't last and they can be a real hassle to get running right. Husquevarna is good if you don't have a Stihl dealer nearby. Most important, learn to use one safely and don't take shortcuts. Chain saws can cut a leg off in seconds. Wear goggles, hat and hard shoes. Never cut into the ground as a stone can ruin a blade in a flash. Keep the wife and kids in the house when you are cutting.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I went with a 16" Husqvarna, but now that I've moved to Colorado (west Denver) I find no one local to me services or sells Husqy, they all do Sthil.

So my recommendation is a 14"-16" gas saw, either Husqy or Sthil - whichever one is supported more in your area.

mikey

Reply to
mikey

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. You've been a big help!

Debbie

Reply to
DebbieG

Actually, as another home owner, I'll make a really radical (for this group) suggestion.

I picked up a small Remington electric for $35 (half price) this year, at the big box end of summer close out. For this, the brand really doesn't matter, what ever your store sells will do.

Such a thing is fine for cutting up branches and trimming bushes, and being electric, no starting problems or gasoline to mix and store.

No, I don't expect it to last any longer than the chain does, so I'll get another one.

For logs that are more than 8 inches or so, for firewood, you'll want them split as well, so IMHO, call a pro for that, who has the bigger tools.

And make yourself a crossbuck out of some 2x4s, to hold the wood as you cut. A pair of X's held apart about 18 inches. This way, when you hit it with the chain saw, it isn't a great loss for either.

Reply to
John Hines
041107 1055 - DebbieG posted:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who purchased a new gas engine powered chain saw to replace an old hand push saw, the salesman telling him that this would greatly increase his productivity and ease his workload. A couple of days later the individual returned, found the salesman and told him he was returning the chainsaw. The salesman asked him where it was, and the guy told him it was in the trunk of his car. They went outside, and on the way the guy complained of the sales pitch that was given him about productivity, and ease of workload and said the new chainsaw did none of those things. When they got to the trunk of the car, the guy opened the trunk and the salesman took the chainsaw out of the trunk and pulled on the starter cord, and the saw started up with a roar. The guy said: "What's that noise???"

Reply to
indago

I went to Stihl's website and I don't see an 029 model. Which model is similar?

Thanks, Debbie

| > > I'm sorry, I didn't know I was asking for something that's difficult to | > > recommend. I know next to nothing about chain saws and brands so | thought | > > someone had a recommendation. | >

| > Stihl makes pretty good equipment. It always (in my experience) starts | and | > is rugged enough to last. I have a weed-wacker, backpack leaf blower, | small | > (029) chain saw and a medium (044) chainsaw - all by Stihl. I'm happy | with | > all of them. | >

| > An 044 is overkill unless you live in the deep woods. Your best bet will | be | > something like an 029. DO NOT FORGET to buy the | hard-hat/face-shield/earmuff | > helmet and a pair of chainsaw chaps. These are semi expensive but they | will | > protect you from accidents. They're a whole lot cheaper than leg | re-attachment | > surgery. The hardhat/muff/shield will protect you from hearing loss and | will | > probably keep the chain out of your face in the event of kickback. | >

| > Always buy safety chain! You're a homeowner, not a logger and the | slightly | > longer time it takes to cut up a tree isn't going to kill you. | |

Reply to
DebbieG

The MS-290 is equivalent, but ANY of the MS midrange series will probably do for casual use. An MS-260 or 260-pro looks ok.

As mentioned in several other postings, only buy a saw that you can have serviced locally. Nothing worse than having a problem with a machine that you have to send away to get repaired. Husquavarna is another very high quality chainsaw manufacturer.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

This is Turtle.

You might if you like to post back and tell what model / Brand you end up with.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle

Are those electric saws all that good as compared to gas model in lasting and having any trouble ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

While I have used the Husqys and Stihls and loved them, I have used a Sear's Craftsman 18" for the past 4 years without any problems. I have cut at least 5 cords of wood for firewood (oak, maple, pinion, walnut), cut down numerous limbs around my house and grandparent's house and have had zero problems. I paid less than 190 bucks and the only maintenance has been changing the filters, the normal chain change out and one bar.

This is from when I lived in Missouri, but I have just moved back to So Cal. If I was to make another purchase for around the house, I would do it again. I would go with a Stihl Farm Boss if I was going to use it for more than just around the house (uses listed above)

My .02 Euro

Reply to
R Hace

Lots of great deals on mfg refurbished (and warranted) Poulan Pro saws on Ebay. I got one last fall and it was just like new (no scratches or evidence of ever being used).

Look for a saw with a chrome cylinder and anti-vibration mounts, and with a comparatively larger engine than the cheaper saws. You can probably get a nice 14-18" saw for around $75.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I appreciate your response, but since a BIG problem with Sears in Jan 2001 I have not stepped foot in a Sears store.

Debbie