cfl observation

Page 1 of 3
I've got a cabin WAY up north. No internet, no tv, no FM, just AM radio and the heavens.
The AM stations are pretty weak, but they'll do. We recently installed some CFL bulbs. We have to turn them off to listen to the AM radio. They cause a lot of interference.
Before I drop max bucks on an LED, anyone know if the generate this kind of noise?

Some do, some don't. The key is to get the radio antenna as far away from the noise source as possible, unless the noise is coming in on the radio power cord. Obviously this only works if the antenna is not built into the innards of the radio.
Steve
On 01/05/2014 02:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I found this
http://www.ledbenchmark.com/faq/LED-interference-issues.html
which implies more chance of interference in the FM band
The only way you will know for sure would be to try one and place your radio near it.
When I was a baby (1950), our family lived in Northern Wisconsin .
This was in the days when there really was not much other than AM radio.
I was told they could just barely pick up one station.

Interesting observation and I just tested it myself with a portable radio and if I got within a foot of the cfl you could not hear the radio with all the static. Also noticed it on an incandescent bulb but had to get within inches for the same effect.
With the cfl, static started about 5 ft away and I suspect with your weak radio signals, cfl static would overcome it easier.
With an LED flashlight, I saw no effect on radio.
I would guess that some cfl bulbs are worse than others as some I have give off a humming sound.
My regular fluorescent shop light gives more radio interference until it gets fully fired up.
On 01/05/2014 03:02 PM, Frank wrote:

<portions snipped>
An LED running from a battery would be very "clean" of noise... it's the converter than would generate the noise.
On 1/5/2014 4:11 PM, philo wrote:

You're right. After posting I started googling cfl/led radio interference and see both can be bad.
I'm a big fan of LED flashlights but might be reticent to put one of these bulbs in the house.
On 01/05/2014 03:15 PM, Frank wrote:

I lucked out today.
Did some computer repair work for a guy in the lighting business and in lieu of getting cash I am going to be getting a number of full spectrum fluorescent tubes and fixtures plus some CFL full spectrum lights.
He said that LED's are too expensive . I hope eventually the price goes down...but after my last combined gas and electric bill I realize that most of my incandescents will have to go.
On 1/5/2014 4:25 PM, philo wrote:

I've replaced most of my incandescents with CFL's. LED's don't use that much less energy to justify their high cost compared to CFL's.
With their longer lifetime, I really like CFL's in those fixtures hard to service like those in the kitchen where glass must be removed to get at the bulbs. In bathroom fixtures where you only spend a few minutes and lights are on and off frequently, CFL's do not last nearly as long. I've got a powder room with original incandescent super bulbs in them nearly 40 years old.
On 01/05/2014 06:03 PM, Frank wrote:

I am just starting to like CFL's as I found a small sized 100w equivalent that I was able to but in an antique light fixture in my office. I had a low wattage incandescent there as I was worried about excess heat.
philo wrote:

Hi, Hoarded some incandescent bulbs from the store shelves. As of Jan. 1 this year legally no more selling of incandescent bulbs. Specially I collected enough spares for our chandeliers. Will wait out until LED ones price come down low enough. Mostly I use daylight CFLs.
On 01/05/2014 06:29 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: X

I have a number of antiques chandeliers that I put "reproduction" antiques bulbs in. I am assuming that since they are a specialty item they will be exempt from the ban. CFL's will /not/ quite make the grade.

I have a desk lamp on the kitchen table, so I have enough light to read by, and in the summer it got so hot I couldn't take it anymore. 100 watts. I changed to CFL and all is good.

Yes, despite what ABC TV News said, only the standard shape (actually 3 or 4 shapes, but all very similar) is banned. All the dozens or hundreds of other shapes are okay. I wonder what percentage of the market they are/used to be.

The deal (reached back in 2007) was to regulate only the bulbs that used the most energy. I don't know the total percentage of the total bulb market involved; but the 40 watt and 60 watt household bulbs are about 60% of the standard bulb market.
Tomsic

But not floodlights.

Yes, incandescent floodlights are regulated and some types have been phased out; but manufacturers were already converting such bulbs to high-efficiency incandescent-halogen technology and so just went ahead with their plans. I haven't seen any consumer articles about floodlights for some time and there hasn't been much mention of them on this ng either.
Tomsic

Wow. Well I've been dissatisfied with floodlight life anyhow. One of my fixtures is 20 feet up the side of my house and it's hard to change the bulbs. Are the halogen lights more long lasting.
Last time I just wanted to adjust the settings on the sensor.
I disconnected the Romex in the attic, took off the nut and washer holding the screw and lowered the whole fixture to the ground (tying some string onto the Romex to make it longer). Did the stuff on the ground and then went inside and pulled the whole thing back up. The hard part was getting that screw into the hole, so I could put the washer and I think I changed to a wingnut, on. It took about 10 minutes.
SNIP

Halogen floodlights are often rated for 2000 or more hours instead of 1000 or 1500 hours for standard halogen bulbs; but what that life rating doesn't say is that halogens are more sensitive to shock and vibration than non-halogen bulbs. When I adjust halogen bulbs in track lighting, for example, I turn the lights off when I aim the fixture so the hot filament coils don't get shaken, weld together and shorten lamp life or cause the bulb to fail. The 50 watt halogen floodlights have been the worst in that respect. Outdoors, if the fixture vibrates or shakes in the wind, that's probably going to shorten the life of the floodlight bulb.
Weatherproof LED floodlights ought to be the best choice for your outdoor fixture situation; but, considering the cost, buy an Energy Star bulb to get the strong life warranty and you have a good chance of never having to replace that floodlight bulb again.
Tomsic

Hm. In stage lighting, we used tungsten-halogen lamps exclusively (well, except for some 50's-era incan scoops, and an old Strong Trouper carbon arc follow). Dimming is de rigour.
On 1/7/2014 4:39 AM, micky wrote:

Considering how LED has come along, I'd consider it as the replacement. Still expensive,but it if lasts a long time it is worth it not having to change bulbs in tough places.
I see one in my neighborhood. I like the brightness and quality of the light. I see it on my way to work in the morning and it is too cold and too early for me to stop and check out details.

I'll look into that. Also your ideas, =, Thanks.