Ceramic tiles in kitchen

I have the laminated flooring in the kitchen and don't like it. I'm thinking of applying marble tiles in a 12 x 8' area. Should I leave the wood there as a base or remove it? I realize if I leave the wood than add tiles on top of it, makes it difficult to open a garden door. ..and yet the door is only a 24'' wide door...so I may consider cutting it at the bottom. Is this expensive and a 'diy' type? Any suggestions? Thanks

first, tiles over wood isn't recommended. 2nd, you need to determine how flexible the floor and subfloor is as tiles need to be on a relatively non-flexible surface. 3rd, marble on a kitchen floor is a bad idea. it's soft, stains, and scratches.

Maybe I meant ceramic tiles...are they any better than marble for floors? i would think they are stronger and cleaner than a wooden floor.