Cell Phone boosters or antennas

Page 1 of 2
The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.
Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?
I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!
I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a ton of gain. Crazy?
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote:

They arent legal in my country.

Yes, those are used a lot in RVs.
You do need a cellphone that can have an antenna attached, most modern ones cant anymore.

Nope, it can work, but its not as easy to do as you might think.
On 4/10/2011 3:32 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

What's the problem?
It's mostly that I need to go up about 5 feet.
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
That looks like: a 4 1/4" (for 1900 mHz) can at least that long. Perhaps a 1/4" hole 1.63" from the bottom, with 1.63" of wire sticking both into and out of the can mounted in a bit of plex. Orient the can vertically and point it at the nearest cellphone tower, which is visible.
Am I missing something that you know of?
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote

You clearly dont know much about antennas. Not that that is a major problem if you can find a decent set of plans for one.

Whats that based on, where the driveway is ?
I still think that if your cellphone can accept and external antenna, and most cant, that it makes a lot more sense to just buy the sort of antenna thats designed for a car or RV instead and use that.

Yes, thats a wifi cantenna, not a cellphone cantenna. The frequencys are completely different.
Your original shows that you dont understand the basics with the bit about the dipole. That cantenna doesnt use anything like that.
Corse you do need to check that your cellphone can take an external antenna first, most cant.
On 4/11/2011 3:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, I know, which is why I tuned it for 1900 mHz rather than (I believe) 2300mHz.

I think I have some grasp on dipoles (held an Amateur Advanced [seems like misnomer]) at 16 and have built my share of antennas.
That a cantenna doesnt use anything like that.
The feed element is tuned to a 1/4 wave. Think of a 1/4 vertical with the can being the ground plane, it is large enough wavelength wise.

I thought you were following the passive repeater bit. What I'm thinking is something of an improved version of this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Hey, if you know something about this, put in something constructive, otherwise it's back in the virtual kill file.
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote

Why didnt you answer that ?

You sure your cellphone is using 1900 ?

That cantenna you posted the url for doesnt have one.

Its isnt a DIPOLE, its a monopole.

Its nothing like a ground plane electrically.

Cant see that working very well.
And how do you plan to do it with that cantenna ?

I dont give a flying red fuck what you do or do not choose to read.
On 4/10/2011 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Get yourself an old "bag phone". They have about 20 times more signal strength. Keep the antenna away from your body.
On 4/10/2011 4:19 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

And talk to what with it? All the old bag phones I have seen are analog, which is basically gone at this point.
OP needs a cell repeater or femtocell device. He'll cry at the price, though, even online. Google 'residential cell phone booster', figure out correct model. and then try to find a cheaper one on ebay.
Or just get rid of the cell phone and get a real phone. After a month you won't even miss it.
--
aem sends....

On 4/10/2011 4:54 PM, aemeijers wrote:

How does that work out portability wise?
On 4/11/2011 6:56 AM, George wrote:

My point being, that other than the fact they are used to it and/or addicted to it, how many people really NEED a cell phone to survive, personally or career-wise? Mine lives in my briefcase, and I turn it on once a week to clear the wrong-number messages. I actually carry it in my pocket and switched on, maybe 4-5 days a year, when I am traveling, or need to meet up with some contractor or something. That is worth the 8 bucks a month to me. But 50 bucks a month or more for a smartphone? What for? I have a computer at work, and a computer at home. I can tough it out for the 15 minute commute. I refuse to be a cell phone zombie wandering around the grocery store or mall or city street, hunched over looking at a tiny screen.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote

It aint about survival, its about convenience.
If you do need a cellphone anyway, it may not be worth it for HIM to pay for a fixed line phone as well if he can make the cellphone work cheaply at home.

We don't have a land line. Except when I was looking for a job and during the later move, I rarely use my cell phone but I do carry it with me when I'm out of the house anyway.
On 4/11/2011 6:44 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Actually that sounds quaint and how folks used to use cellphones when they cost $1/minute and had 1 hour battery life.
We don't have a landline. Everyone in my family and most of my friends are on the same carrier so we have "free" calling.
I think cellphones have incredible utility value. Just yesterday morning I had a two hour drive to meet someone and about ten minutes into the ride the guy called and said he had a family emergency and needed to reschedule. If my phone was turned off I would have wasted 4 hours of driving. And with a smartphone I can often resolve stuff in minutes. Also I can search stuff, look up prices, get notifications on deliveries and handy stuff like being able to check the weather radar when we are out cycling to decide how long we have until the storm instead of the old days of "rain is forecast , lets ride another day"

Do you even know how to use a cell phone? I have a prepaid cell that is way cheaper than a landline.

yup yup yup
also my cellphone has free unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes no matter who the carrier is, and free "night and weekend" minutes so it's a very rare call (would have to be during the day, on a weekday, and to a land line) for which I actually get charged minutes. And I have 450 of those a month. I don't talk on the phone nearly enough to get to that. I finally drank the Kool-Aid and got a smart phone a couple months ago, and it's cool as heck, but even before that, I was cell only for about seven years just because the convenience of the cell was great, and with high-speed internet there was no longer any compelling reason at all to pay for a land line which pretty much would never get used. (why would I make a LD call from a land line and get charged for it, when I can make the same call for free from my cell?)
And, like I said, it works, without hassle. Unlike the last THREE times I got a land line from V*****n, about whom I don't have the vocabulary to clearly explain to you just how badly and in how many different ways they suck. And I am quite fluent in colloquial English profanity.
nate
On 5/12/2011 3:33 PM, N8N wrote:

(why would I make a LD call from a land line

How are the international rates on your cell? Do dial-around services work on them? I have wacko relatives that insist on living on the other side of the puddle.
And why are you replying to a month-old thread?
-- aem sends...

Really? I think that I'd miss having my cell phone, seeing as it actually works, as opposed to the last land line that I had (which Verizon claimed worked, and had no problem charging me for, but would stop working if it was raining, humid, windy, etc. or even for no discernable reason.) My monthly cell bill was cheaper than my (basic, no long distance) land line bill too.
There's a reason that I haven't had a land line in years, and it starts with "V" and ends in "erizon."
nate
Tony Miklos wrote

The industry is pulling the plug on those AMPS phones now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Phone_System

Rod Speed wrote the following:

That phone reminds me of "A Night at the Roxbury"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Talk to your cellular service provider. When I complained to Sprint about poor signal strength in my home, they shipped me -- free of charge -- a microcell that sends the signal via internet. Signal in my living room went from one bar to five bars. It's been installed about two years now, and we haven't had any trouble with it at all.