Ceiling Fans

Which gives more airflo ,a 4 or 5 blade ceiling fan ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Number of blades does not mean anything. You'd have to look at the CFM rating. More important than number is the size, pitch, speed of the blade.
desgnr wrote:

It depends. Which has biggest diameter, size of blades, and steepest pitch of blades? Assuming all those are the same, and the blade-to-ceiling distance is the same, a 5-blade would. I haven't noticed a 4-blade fan in use or in the stores, in years. (Not that I have looked real hard, mind you. The question never came up for me.)
--
aem sends...

Hunter still has 4 blade models, mostly smaller and specialty uses, like kids' rooms.
Joe

Hunter still has 4 blade models, mostly smaller and specialty uses, like kids' rooms. ============================================ Yeah, I don't know if they're hunters, but HD has $19.95 hugger ceiling fans, and indeed with 4 blades. With a lite kit! Not bad.
Problem is, if you happen to touch the blades while spinning, the cast "arm" that attaches the blade to the hub cracks *immediately*, and appears near-impossible to fix. <sigh>
--
EA

Joe

desgnr wrote:

Everything else being equal, 5 would give you more air flow than 4.
--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

One of my fans came with 5 blades, and with holes in the motor so you can install 4 or 5. Is there any reason for preferring 4 blades?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote:

noise. fewer is slightly less noise but only really noticable at high speed