Ceiling fan eats lightbulbs

Have a ceiling fan with a 4 bulb light kit that just seems to eat lightbulbs. A bulb will usually last less than a month. I usually have softwhite type 75 watt bulbs in it. Anything in particular that might cause this? There are other fixtures in the house that also seem to use up bulbs quickly but this particular one is the worst.
Is it on a Dimmer? Might be the Dimmer causing the issue.
Pass and Seymour Make some Fan Dimmers. http://www.passandseymour.com /
They also make a de-hummer dimmer for the fan itself if you want to get rid of the hum a fan makes if you Dim the fan.
Scott<-

"Scott Townsend" wrote

The circuit controling the light is on a dimmer. The fan itself is not.
YYZedd wrote:

Vibration? I know there is bulbs specified for ceiling fan use. I guess it is heavy duty/rough service rated. Tried them? You can get them from HD or lighting store. I have 3 fans in the house, no problem.

Could be that I suppose. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Definitely do it. I had the same problem with my fan. Switched to some "fan bulbs" made by Philips, if I recall correctly. No more problems after that. I got them at Home Depot.

You may want to look into vibration resistant bulbs, usually sold for garage door openers. If your fan is a little out of balance the filaments could be vibrating their way to a quick failure.
--
Chris

committed to history:

excessive heat at 75W Good luck, hope this helps
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:33:52 GMT, "YYZedd"

Dont bother with the "rough service" type bulbs. The light output on those are horrible Bubba

Agreed. They're ugly. But, the Philips fan bulbs look fine. I guess they realized they couldn't sell them if they sucked. What a revelation! :)
Try the bulbs made for ceiling fans - the vibration resistant sort - or perhaps appliance bulbs. I've been using them in my ceiling fans with no significant trouble for years.