Cedar Wood Split Rail Fences and Concrete for the Posts

Howdy,

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. In our climate would it be a good idea to have split rail wood cedar fence posts mounted in concrete for more stability?

Would the cedar fence post have to be wrapped with black electrical tape to prevent any damage from the concrete?

Thanks,

Jeff Mattison :)

Reply to
jeff mattison

cedar will not hurt the concrete nor will the concrete hurt the cedar. I highly suggest that you put 2 coats of sealer/paint on your project and then assemble, then paint final coat. I did that on my gate project some 9 years ago. Still looks as good today.

Cedar will split in time if not protected. I have lived in PHX for 35 years, there aint nothing that hold up to the sun except steel and concrete. And in some situations even they have to be painted or protected.

Reply to
SQLit

Never set posts in concrete if you can avoid it. I see absolutely no benefit for the fence you describe. Last time I dug in AZ the ground was already like concrete.

Reply to
davefr

cedar shouldnt be put in concrete. so they say over and over it will rot out

Reply to
rnr_construction