Caulk for roof leak

Does this sound crazy? We have a little leak in the roof during heavy rain. Is it a feasible stopgap for a few years to go into the attic and coat the underside of the roof's wood panel with caulk to prevent the water from dripping & pooling in the attic? Maybe using a thick layer of caulk around the leak area and coating it from there to the roof's edge? Right now we have a sheet of plastic to channel the leak out to the edge of the roof.

Reply to
Gregorso

A stitch in time... Best to fix it from the outside. Is there a reason you can't go on the roof?

Don't forget that the hole on the outside might not be above where the hole on the inside is dripping. If you patch the inside hole, it might just migrate to another entry point. Also, if you prevent it from dripping on the inside, you may generate a bigger problem down the line in that you can have large areas of the roof sheathing rotting from the water.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

No. First it will not work. Nothing is going to stop it that you put on the bottom.

Second even slowing it, will only increase the roof framing and deck damage. The eventual roof fix will be much more expensive.

You need to find the cause of the leak and fix it from the outside. The current condition of the roof may require a replacement. Sometimes you just can't get a few more years out of one.

Water is a real threat to a home. Don't ignore it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yeah...I'm just trying to think of something cheaper than re-tiling the roof...at least for a few years. Patching the tiles is a pain, and you risk cracking other tiles while crawling around up there. Oh well, I suppose there are no shortcuts.

Reply to
Gregorso