Roof leak advice?

I live in an ancient 12 x 65 mobile home. The metal roof, after years of annoying leaks, was sealed with a thin layer of foam about 5 - 10 years ago.

Last Thursday we had a severe thunder storn, lots of wind and rain. A few days later I noticed a faint ~1 x 1 foot stain on my living room ceiling at the wall (maybe been there a long time and I never noticed it? Possible but not likely.). I climbed up this morning to look at the roof at that point. I see nothing there or anywhere near it - roof and coating look just fine. There does seem to be a seam between metal panels on the outside wall at that point that is spread a bit, but I suspect it was always like that - I just never looked. Unfortunately, there is a little awning attached a foot or so below the roof in that area to shield the large window below it from the sun, so I can't easily get real close to the 'leak' point, only about three feet away. Thus I can't easily fix the seam gap without climbing on the roof and hanging over the edge, at 79 not very safe. Ad besides, I suspect it will be difficult to drill and drive screws there.

Suggestions? Currently I'm in the mood to wait and see; it might have been the unusually strong wind and rain that helped cause the problem. Or perhaps the roof hole is a long way from there and the water ran over the top of the ceiling panels to where the stain is?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Nope, it's not a one time thing. The water is not necessarily getting in directly on top of the discoloration...and my guess would be the seam.

On my house, I use a product called "Snow Roof" and it does a great job.

I see they have a version called "Mobile Coat" which will probably work.

My advice would be to give it several light coats and from then on...maybe once a year if it looks like it's separating.

Reply to
philo

Part of hurricane Sandy came through here 2 years ago and I saw a couple of wet spots in the house in places I had never seen before or since. I figure a hard sideways driven rain had hit places never hit before. I'd wait and see.

Reply to
Frank

Does the roof still have a bow? I've had a couple of small leaks around the edges where the water pooled up. Sometimes the water will follow the interior framing to the low point.

I've had good luck with Henry's Wet Patch. Like it says, it will work when it's wet and cold so you can spread it where the water is pooling for a quick fix. It sounds like you might have a problem getting to the leak area though.

I've got one leak and I can't seem to get it with the Wet Patch. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow so I'm going to slather on a coat of Henry's Fibered Asphalt.

If you read the fine print on the 'snow' coatings they're more about a white coating to cut down solar heating and often suggest you apply them over some other sort of sealer. I'm not fancy and this isn't Arizona so I'll stick with asphalt.

Reply to
rbowman