Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace (20 yrs old): Blower removal

Re: Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace: Blower removal
Hi,
About 20 years ago, I had a Carrier 58GS (upflow) Gas Furnace installed. I'm told it was manufactured by Bryant.
The label on the blower sez the blower motor requires oiling about every 5 years.
I can see part of the blower motor but can't see an oil nipple. Many years ago the unit was serviced by the folks that installed it: the blower unit was removed and the motor oiled.
I've looked the entire furnace over and I can't see how to remove the blower unit. It's long overdue for oiling. I can't afford a service call.
Does anyone recall how one goes about removing the blower unit? Oiling the motor? A tip or 2 would be very much appreciated.
Cheers, Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Usually, not always, there are two bolts or metal screws locking the blower motor in place. These usually come out from the top. Then the blower assembly will slide out like a drawer, might take a little persuading on an old unit. Check the ends of the motor for small plastic plugs, if you find them pop them out and oil the motor. I used to use turbine oil with the extendable spout to get to them, but 20 weight motor oil might work. It does make a difference in the life of motors, but I'd oil them every year, not 5 or so.
Dan
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:02:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Gmail.com (Puddin' Man) wrote:

How about the AC coil you should clean that , it affects Heating efficiency

Aha! The elec. control box is right in front of the top of the blower unit: I couldn't see how it mounted (eyes are not what they used to be). As you say, it slides out ('till it runs into the control box).

Didn't find any plastic plugs, but there was an aperture just above the motor shaft. I oiled aplenty.

Particularly as the unit is so old. I'll scribble some notes and oil every Aug. or Sept.
The blower motor sounds A-OK now. Copious thanks to Dan for his help!
Best, Puddin'

****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:57:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Gmail.com (Puddin' Man) wrote:

More motors are destroyed by overlubricating than by underlubricating. All it takes is a few drops.
Gary R. Lloyd
http://www.techmethod.com
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:26:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gatecom.com (Gary R. Lloyd) wrote:

About 25 per the sticker. And it sounded OK after oiling.
I would've cheerfully, cheerfully metered the oil if possible. Nearly had to break an arm in a couple places to get any oil at all in it.
Could tell when I looked close at the blower unit mounting screws: it didn't fit right. Bitch to remount.
The elec. control box prevented extraction of the blower unit without unwiring most of the furnace.
The unit wasn't properly designed for routine maintenance. Mis-engineering that can make a 15 min. job into a 1+ hour job (for a professional). I can easily imagine an HVAC contractor charging, say, $180 for routine maintenance.
I did the best I could with the Carrier/Bryant junk that I'm stuck with.
Puddin'
Okay, I'm in a pissy mood.
Sell the H2 in the driveway and get your equipment serviced.
A lot of people out there( and I'm not talking about the OP) will get their car serviced every 3K miles, but never get the most expensive system in their house serviced as they are supposed to.....

Damn straight!
They buy a $30,000 car with $7,000 worth of options but won't spend $5,000 to replace a 20 year old furnace.