carpet ripples

the wall to wall carpet in the master bedroom was installed about 13 years ago and still is in great shape, but has slowly started to ripple in spots. someone told me to try and run an iron over the areas w/ a towel between the iron and the carpet. is this something that will work or do i need a carpet guy to comein and restretch it and retack it down?
thanks for any tips,
mike........

Ironing will likely do more harm than good.
Rent a carpet stretcher, or a guy with a carpet stretcher.
JerseyMike wrote:

I doubt that will do it. You need it re-stretched. That is part of installing the carpet and can be done anytime to correct your problem.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JerseyMike wrote:

Hello Mike: It probably needs to be restretched professionally. Old carpet is weaker than new carpet and can be ripped accidentally if overstretched. If tack-strip was used at the edge, which is the usual case, then it will be fairly simple to pull up one corner of the carpet, restretch, and force the carpet back down onto the tack strip.
[During college years I helped a cousin lay carpet, and learned something very important: I will never attempt to install carpet myself. There are hundreds of ways to screw up, and I think I know most of them.... :-) ]
Best -- Terry

That I can believe. There are wrong and right ways & directions to stretch it. Existing carpet I would suspect could have additional issues. Maybe like pulling a seam apart even.
One thing I've seen is where things got wet at the tack strips at some point. The nails begin to rust and eventually let go. Nothing to restretch to. Need new tack strip. If in concrete, tad more tricky to nail.
Just some observations...
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:43:36 GMT, "JerseyMike"

Small areas with ripples can be stretched/taken out with a "knee kicker" (rented). pull some carpet away from the tack strip and kick it back on the strip and trim the excess. Carpet over time will stretch, like a new pair of boots.
Larger areas - have a carpet guy stretch it in (pole stretchers). Large beds and heavy furniture can hamper the efforts to tighten up the carpet. -- Oren