Nylon bearings?

I want to lubricate the nylon rotors that my mower blades turn in. What is the best lubricant to use? I have heard that oil will deteriorate the nylon and that silicone is too weak. They are really getting noisy and need something. Thanks

Reply to
donh

Lubrication is likely to be a short term solution at best. I'd probably try some polyurea (bicycle) grease since I happen to have some around.

But if nylon bearings are sufficiently worn to flap around and make a noise, it's time to replace 'em. Just check to see that it's not something else generating the noise.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Ask the manufacturer? Read the manual? Virtually all power equipment manuals are online these days.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

donh spake thus:

Oil won't harm nylon, which is impervious to most petrochemicals (at least those found around the house).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It might seem like a wild and crazy idea but have you considered reading the manual or contacting the manufacturer? Surely either of those would yield better information than strangers who have no idea what sort of mower you are using.

Reply to
John McGaw

Use Lubriplates Aero grease. It's compatible with plastic and has good low temperature qualities.

tnom

Below is a guide to chemical compatibility for many materials:

Nylon is compatibile with almost all oils.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Just for kicks I selected aluminum and petroleum. It has a D rating - Severe effect, not recommended for any use. What is the reason behind this?

Reply to
tnom

Aluminum block car engines and pistons? Huh?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

By "petroleum" I think they mean crude oil, which can contain stuff that corrodes aluminum.

If you do the same check on "oils:mineral" (which is what ordinary petroleum lubricants are), it comes up A.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Aerosol grease would be easy. Most grease and oil tend to attract and hold dirt/dust/scuzz. I use a Teflon filled anti seize on similar things and have been quite pleased. Here are some examples:

, though there are many brands. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Yes, replacement. Typically you replace such bearings when they act as you describe.

Reply to
George