Carpet estimate

Went out to estimate for an interesting job. It's not in my skills set, so I'm not really putting in a bid. But, I'm curious.

Store has some nylon carpet at the front door, which needs to be replaced. There are about 140 "tiles" which are 18 inches square. Much of the carpet is triangular area of the floor. The edge of the carpet has black plastic, with phillips flat head screw every foot or so along the edge. The screws look fairly solidly rusted in.

So, the job is to pull the trim. Scrape all the old carpet off. Dispose of the old carpet. Spread on some new carpet adhesive, and apply the needed carpet squares. A lot of them will be cut to shape, in triangle shape. Replace the trim.

Any idea what a job like this could cost? Any good web sites, how to do all this? I suspect that a pneumatic carpet scraper from Harbor Freight could pay for itself on a job like this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I pulled up some 2' square super commercial (like $40/yd) carpet that got wet from hurricane Ike. It was, of course, glued down and had been for a couple of years. But the glue was more like rubber cement - not hard to remove the carpet at all. Certainly not like vinyl tile. Seriously, you can pull it up with a good grip.

The residual on the floor was no biggie either. The replacement carpet will be VERY forgiving of minor imperfections in the concrete.

The removed carpet now graces two rooms in my home and office. That stuff is indestructible.

Reply to
HeyBub