Carpenter or Computer Operator?

Page 1 of 2

Alan Blinder, a Princeton professor and former Federal Reserve vice chairman, says it won't be surprising years from now if a carpenter in the U.S. earns more than a college-educated computer operator. In fact, the data suggest that education bears little relationship to jobs that are vulnerable to offshoring, he says.
On balance, Blinder says, "there's little doubt a college education is a good investment for most students."
But he offers this advice: "Don't train yourself or your children [in work] that a computer can do or a smart kid in China or India can do. Because that's ferocious competition."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobs-educate-20100612,0,5466021,full.story
Robert Green wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobs-educate-20100612,0,5466021,full.story
rehab and retraining...full scholarships.
On 06/14/2010 04:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

and see if they want to re-offend. It's bound to be cheaper than what it cost in the U.S. and I'll bet we get better results.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:16:41 -0400, "Robert Green"

Computer "operator"? That is not a particularly skilled job. Was he thinking "programmer". Even so, I agree, there is a guy in India that will do that for $40 a day. The internet has made it such that it doesn't matter whether your cubicle is down the hall or half way around the world. Halfway around the world is cheaper.
<stuff snipped>

The point is that skilled trades are the last thing to get exported because it's not practical to have someone in New Delhi fix your plugged up sink. Not until they develop cheap teleportation like Star Trek. In the current market, having a BA in English is likely to get you a job slinging burgers.
The worst part of all this is kids are starting their careers $50 to $100K in debt for a college education from a named school. Unless they go to Wall Street, there's no way they can pay that loan off in this economy. It's just another in the row of dominoes that is falling over that used to be a vibrant national economy.
-- Bobby G.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:03:20 -0400, "Robert Green"

These days a journeyman Electrician card can get you a job cutting lawns. In case you haven't noticed, the building business is dead in most places.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't know. I retired as a computer programmer about 5 years ago. I got an apprentice electrician card so I could volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I get lots of cold call job offers based on that card.. Not as much money, but I could certainly stay busy.
-- Doug
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:30:18 -0500, Douglas Johnson

The HOA here pays a guy $45 to mow a 1/4 acre lot. It takes him about 20 minutes on a lawn tractor. Are you getting more than that?
In Florida work is still pretty slow for all the trades. Guys who used to hollar out the window of their truck in broken espanol are now holding the shovel. It did cut way back on the illegal immigration problem tho. It turns out Americans will do those jobs.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nah. I don't make anything. I was just mentioning I got lots of offers. I don't take any of them.
Ironically, the local Habitat decided to contract out their electrical work instead of using volunteers with apprentice licenses supervised by a real electrician. Times is hard when you get laid off from an unpaid job.
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Liability issues?
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:28:39 -0500, Douglas Johnson

Most of the Habitat work here was done by pros anyway. (Usually contributed by contractors for the tax write off) They would have the volunteers on the weekend, get some TV time and photo ops, then the pros come in on Monday and build the house.
On 6/15/2010 9:30 AM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

I have no problem finding work, it finds me. My problem is getting out of bed because I'm worn out. I got in last night after 9:00PM from an emergency call for an IVR system at a pharmacy 50 miles away. At 9:00 AM this morning my buddy woke me from a deep sleep with another service call. Get this, I can't hold a regular job because of health problems that can keep me from being able to work. If someone handed me a welfare or disability check, I'd spit in it, wad it up and throw it in their face. Whenever I hear some lazy gimme say he can't find a job, I want to punch his lights out. There is always work that needs to be done somewhere, sometime. Just what the hell is this retirement thing?
TDD

The trades may be the last thing to get exported, but who's to say they won't be exported? Modular home construction, in huge warehouses in cheap areas of the US, is already taking off. It's not a huge leap to imagine that happening in China. Sure, it will take a few weeks for your home to arrive, but if you can get it for half price?
On 6/15/2010 7:41 AM cubby spake thus:

Even so, houses still can't be plugged into their foundations as if they were giant Lego pieces. You still need skilled trades to pour foundations and slabs, run electric service, plumbing, etc.
Unless you're suggesting that all these tradespeople will somehow come in a package with the house from China or India. Maybe compressed into one of those gigantic plastic bags that you hook your vacuum cleaner up to. Presto! instant crew.

There's an outfit around here, which offers imported lawn fertilizing.
They have this van loaded with illegal Mexicans. They feed them a few burritos, the Mexicans hop out & shit all people's yards.
On 6/15/2010 11:51 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Dehydrated construction crew? Remember Marvin The Martian sending his dehydrated monsters after Bugs Bunny? One drop of water on a monster pill and POOF! A full sized Malevolent Martian Monster, an MMM I suppose.
TDD
wrote in message

<The trades may be the last thing to get exported, but who's to say they won't be exported? Modular home construction, in huge warehouses in cheap areas of the US, is already taking off. It's not a huge leap to imagine that happening in China. Sure, it will take a few weeks for your home to arrive, but if you can get it for half price?>
At the rate I have to patch things around the house (largely because of cheap manufacturing techniques or bad design or someother inherent vice) there will always be work for handymen in this country. Just today the fax machine failed. I'll probably be able to figure it out myself. Sadly, it's cheaper to buy a new one than to pay someone to look at it.
-- Bobby G.
On 06/14/10 04:16 pm, Robert Green wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobs-educate-20100612,0,5466021,full.story It's not even China or India we have to worry about now. Some of the Taiwanese companies that set up factories in China because wages were rising in Taiwan are now moving production to Vietnam, where wages are lower still and the exchange rate to the US$ is more favorable. E.g., FoxConn (which I understand makes the iPad for Apple) now has factories in Vietnam.
Employment, like water, flows downhill -- to the place that has the lowest-paid sufficiently qualified workers.
Perce
Robert Green wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobs-educate-20100612,0,5466021,full.story
No doube blue color trade people has jobs all the time no matter what. comp. operators are dying breed.

Lying dirtbag piece of pond scum!
Just like politicians and big business have allowed exportation or H1-B visa displacement of high tech jobs, there is intentionally no control of illegals flooding across our borders to replace blue collar workers. Carpenters and most construction workers are still making under $15 an hour, the same as they did 30 yrs ago. Semi-skilled workers are being replaced just as quickly as skilled and high-tech workers.
Has India or China created any new technologies? Is there really any creative innovation happening in those mono-cultural countries? Hell no. No ipads, no hybrid cars, no green revolution. No Apple or GM. No biotech or medical breakthroughs.
Anyone who thinks the power elite in this country isn't doing everything it can to keep the masses ignorant is living in a fools paradise. Our only recourse is education. Other countries are still sending their kids to this country to be educated, yet our own leaders are trying to discourage us from seeking higher education. That treasonous bastard ought to be flogged around the fleet!
nb