casement window operator

I have a casement window by Hy-Lite, and the gear mechanism is faulty. It works fine for cranking the window open, but then won't work to crank it closed. It looks like one of the gears is tilting up or something, so they are not meshing right when I apply pressure to close the window. I can't seem to remove the housing or handle on the inside to get at it... Any suggestions?

Reply to
martha

C. R. Laurence Company

have many more. I don't know if you can buy from them, but any commercial glass house in your area can.

Reply to
DanG

I this handle trimmed into wood? Say trim needs to be removed - to remove the operator?

or

--

Reply to
Oren

Is "Hy-Lite" the maker of the window or mechanism? My casement windows had "Truth" mechanisms. I found replacement mechanisms at "All about Doors and Windows". You'll have to get at the mechanism to replace it. Mine was buried in the bottom frame, which had to be *carefully* (broke the first one) pried off. They were nailed in from the opposite side, so I used a drummed to cut the nails, then used stainless screws countersunk into the screen track to fit them back. I think I ended up replacing 12 of the 18, or so, mechanisms in the last couple of years I owned the house. I hate casement windows.

krw