capping a gas line

Page 2 of 2
wrote

Well, I too had jumped to conclusions. If your fireplace gasline is outside, it will all be much easier and safer. But, believe me, turning off the main is the safe way to go. You never know what problem pops up when you get the fireplace gasline open ...
--
Best regards
Han

I didn't know it was outdoors either, but it's still best to shut off the gas. Now I must ask..... WHY do you have a fireplace outside?

This qualifies as the #1 Idiot posting of the year. You sir are a MORON. But wait..... You're so stupid you dont even quailfy as a moron, you dont have the intelligence to even qualify as a moron.
Get help from a psychiatrist, you need it.
Why dont you just take the cap off the pipe, and shove your cock in the pipe to stop the flow of gas. Just make sure you never remove your cock from that pipe, and you wont have any leaking gas. (If it's big enough to seal the pipe, which it's likely not).

I have done this but screw a valve on, then a stub of pipe and cap....
just be prepared, a helper can be useful.
work fast work well and no sources of combustion.
does the gas company shut down the neighborhood to replace a faulty valve?
On 5/14/2011 9:55 AM, bob haller wrote:

Be sure the dumb ass looking over your shoulder lights a cigarette while you're in the middle of changing the gas valve. ^_^
TDD
bob haller wrote:
[snip]

I has the gas company replace the regulator a couple of years ago. They didn't shut anything off. The gas made a loud whistling sound.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

But that was outdoors. Even then that practice is stupid because any flame or a car backfiring, or whatever could cause a blast. The gas pressure BEFORE the meter\regulator is much higher too. Actually that regulator is what drops the pressure.
On May 15, 1:15am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

so to replace a main line gas valve the gas company turns gas off for hundreds of homes, requiring turning off and locking out every home and business then going back and turning on each home, relighting all pilot lights, when some locations wouldnt be accesible people on vacation etc.....
WRONG they work with lives lines, just like the power companies do, for many repairs.
and a open line for up to a minute isnt going to fill any home with gas.....
home gas lines are low flow, and natural gas must have a specific mix to explode.....
normally I tturn main off but have done things with live lines to save time and hassle. just have the windows open and use common sense

Common sense says turn the gas off.
I can hear it (common sense), I hear it right now, screaming in my ear. It says "turn the gas off stupid". If you play with gas you're going to lose.
:)
--
Dan Espen

I'll work on electric live. Of course there are ways to do it safely which must be followed. But a live wire is not leaking explosive gas into the air. When I work on gas pipes, I shut off the gas. And even with the electric there are limits. Like never work on the Mains live, when there is no disconnect. And if there is a disconnect, shut it off. But I have been in situations where I have had to replace an outlet or switch live. For example, when I worked for a rental company, it was not uncommon to work on the wiring in one apartment and find a circuit connected to the power from the next door apartment. And if those people were not home to disconnect the power, I could not wait around for them to come home, I had other jobs to do.
Of course I'd always report to the building owner that they have the wiring mixed up between apartments, and we can rewire to fix that, but most owners did not care. I still recall one very old building that was built in the late 1800's as a huge mansion. It had been converted to 4 apartments. It had the old K&T wiring, and the circuits were so mixed up that I'd be working in a handy box in the attic, and sparks would start blowing when I had all the upstairs apartments shut off. The owner decided to pay us to straighten out the mess because some tenants were paying 70% of the electic for the building while others were paying 10%. But he did not want the walls ripped up. We did our best, and got it so that at least 90% of the circuits were going to the right apartment, but there were a few lights that could not be changed without ripping the building apart. That job took over a week, and was like a jigsaw puzzle to figure out. We made sure that the heavy loads (appliances, Air cond, etc) were going to the correct meter, but like I said, a few lights just could not be changed without ripping he walls and ceilings apart. The owner was satisfied, even with a high bill, and we felt that the electric bills for the tenants would be pretty fair. We worked on several of these type of places. All were old mansions converted to apartments and all of them had the wiring all messed up.

Yes: learn how to relight your furnace pilot. You need to know how to do that anyway. Then shut the gas off at the meter.
While you have it shut off, install shutoff valves everywhere you think you might need one.

No.

Have you called the gas company? They will take care of that for you.

BOOM The call 911.....ww

Each gas circuit should have it's own cutoff. At least that's the way mine are done.
If the only reason you don't want to use the main cutoff is because of the furnace pilot light, then I think that's your solution.
Learn how to light the pilot light.
Usually, you take off one of the panels and the instructions are right there.
I'd get one of those barbecue lighters to make the job easier if you don't have one already.
That gas is highly explosive. There's no gain in messing around with it.
--
Dan Espen

On Sat, 14 May 2011 19:16:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Or call a local furnace company, tell them the brand and model of the furnace. Most will tell you how. Or go to the library and learn how to light a pilot. The web should have that info too. You should know how to light the pilot anyhow. What if it goes out in the middle of the night during a 20 BELOW winter weather. Or ask your neighbors. Most people can light a pilot.