Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

Chairman -

It's clear that homeguy is raising points and bring up facts and logic that you either won't or can't refute in a clear and rational way, and it seems to upset you.

I suggest you chill out and relax and just take it all in as our country, our economy and way of life disintigrates in front of our eyes.

Reply to
DD_BobK

Homelessguy and facts, logic? Good grief, that does not compute.

He's a clueless troll with a serious penis envy directed at the USA. As nestork correctly pointed out, there are all kinds of real attrocities going on in the world today. North Korea, Central African Republic, Syria, Putin gobbling up the Ukraine. Yet all this dope drones on about in one OT post after another is the USA?

Reply to
trader_4

A friend uses "welding oxygen" to fill his breathing tanks for high altitude flying in his Harmon Rocket.

Reply to
clare

Hope he doesn't catch fire and explode. My guess, he'll be fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Medical oxygen must be at leas 99%pure, no odor. It is also tagged with the lot so it can be traced. Often, it is from the same tanks as welding oxygen as ts long as they both meet the minimum requirements, that is OK to do.

In real life, I'd use welding oxygen if I was in need of it to breathe, but as a supplier to patients, I'd not give it to you unless it had the right tag. It keeps the lawyers away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

it just proves that you can't beat *stupid*

Reply to
ChairMan

It is not necessarily the Oxygen that is different but the tank. The tanks look the same on the outside but are markered different. Medical oxygen tan ks are held to a higher standard than industrial oxygen. Medical tanks are "Oxygen clean" whereas welding tanks may not be as clean. Medical oxygen is also dryer to prevent rust in the tanks.

Reply to
trisha.pedroza

Bullshit . That medical O2 comes out of the very same tanks as welding O2 . And in some cases welding oxy is held to a higher standard of purity . And any impurities in the tanks can cause the same problems , no matter the intended end use . CHECK THE DATE ON THAT POST , you're responding to stuff from 5 years ago .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Industrial" oxygen purity requirements CAN excede medical specs. I have friends who recharge their high altitude flight oxygen bottles from their welding oxygen tanks.

Reply to
clare

On Thu, 28 May 2015 20:58:30 -0500, "Terry Coombs" wrote in

+1

That's what you get from a google grouper. Still an interesting question that I have never seen.

Reply to
CRNG

The main difference is that Insurance won't pay for it out of the other tanks. The other thing is that I don't know if the regulators are similar enough to regulate how much O2 you get and if they are compatible with the tubing for delivery.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It seems to me all this depends on what the intended concentration is in the first place. If one is 100% O2, or 98% and the other is 92%, they're both still way higher than air. As long as the other 2% or 8% isn't poisonous, if it's nitirogen with a little helium and a trace of argon and a bit of xenon, it's going to work for breathing for sure, and I would think it would work great for a torch. As long as their both high, it doesnt' seem to matter which has a higher standard.

Though I think AZ may be right and there shouldn't be too much water in the tank or your lungs may rust.

Reply to
micky

I have never seen oxygen at a welding store that wasn't medical rated on the label. Perhaps if you are just swapping a little prestolite tank it might not be but the 80s and larger I see have the medical label on them.

Reply to
gfretwell

Medical/aviator 99.95% purity Welding 99.99% purity Analytical 99.999% purity

All filled from the same liquid oxygen supply, only the analytical grade gets extra attention.

Reply to
Pete C.

Your world is very different from mine. I was using medical oxygen that was just compressed air filtered for pollens and moisture. No liquid oxygen used, just regular air from the environment. I was surprised that was all the 'oxygen' tanks held.

Reply to
Vandy Terre

That is not medical oxygen. Oxygen concentrators remove the nitrogen so you get more O2. That would be medical oxygen.

On point that has been missed talking about the differences between welding and medical oxygen. Medical has one important feature: A certification.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Actually two, an insurance company willing to pay for it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

better and cheaper to get a oxygen accumulator, it somehow filter the nitro gen out of room air.....

and is pad for by insurance

Reply to
bob haller

When you get an O2 concentrator, they also give you a couple of tanks for portability, also covered. The best is actually to have liquid oxygen and a fillable portable. This cost the supplier more and needs more maintenance and insurance pays the same. Typical fill on a liquid tank is 7 to 10 days.

A concentrator is electric so it does cost to operate. Liquid makes no noise .

Insurance will pay for tanks for portability, but will not pay if you call those same tanks as emergency backup for power failure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's great when you are at home. Out and about the little "puppy" tanks are almost a necessity.

Reply to
clare