Oxygen line between floors?

My wife just got home from the hospital with an oxygen concentrator and some tanks.

ISTM that the best setup for us would be to keep the concentrator upstairs in the bedroom- and run a second line through the floor to the living room below.

The guy last night says they are made to run 24/7. I'm thinking a 2 way valve and some sort of grommet to go between floors should do me.

The valve is no rush- I'll pick that up online and just plug/unplug in the meantime.

I'd like some feedback on the 'floor grommet' first. the floor upstairs is a floating laminate floor over 1x8 shiplap. [it is a 100+ yr old house] There are 2x8 joists- and 1/2" sheetrock below.

In my mind I'm picturing 2 pieces of 'pipe' with flattened/flared ends- drill the hole, and insert from both sides.

Is there such a thing? Or do I buy 2 grommets and a piece of pipe?

This will be more or less permanent-- If we're 'lucky'- we'll be using this setup for a few years. OTOH- when it is no longer necessary, it would be nice to leave and easily plugged pair of holes.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

How about just a piece of that flexible split plastic conduit/jacket type product that's typically used to hold a group of wires together? I've seen it in places like HD. Could drill the hole, put a piece of it in that extends a few inches beyond, glue it in place with some silicone or vinyl caulk.

Reply to
trader4

... or some clear vinyl tubing with a diameter slightly larger than the oxygen line.

I used some to build a scarf hanger for a friend. It's pretty sturdy material.

DerbyDad03

Just off the top of my head, a couple ideas.

1) Longer tube length, needs larger diameter. 2) Wouldn't want to use any kind of tube that requires cement, as that would put a bunch of organic solvents into her breathing oxygen. No PVC with cement, for example.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Long as the caulk doesn't offgas into the oxygen?

.

How about just a piece of that flexible split plastic conduit/jacket type product that's typically used to hold a group of wires together? I've seen it in places like HD. Could drill the hole, put a piece of it in that extends a few inches beyond, glue it in place with some silicone or vinyl caulk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The caulk doesn't even touch the pipe carrying the oxygen. The idea is to use a piece of the flex split conduit material and use caulk around that to hold it in place. The flexible oxygen hose then passes through it. DerbyDad suggested similar idea using clear viny tubing. That's probably a better idea because it easy to find, they sell it by the foot in any size you want, etc. A somewhat tougher hose than the vinyl might be better though so it can't kink as easily.

Reply to
trader4

The concentrator company should be willing to give you some extra line. The tubing is cheap and any supplier should have plenty on the truck. Although some have suggested a larger tubing, it must be certified for medical oxygen as you don't want to carry any sort of plasticisers in the tubing to the patient.

The maximum the concentrator should have is a 50' extension or you will get a lot of line loss. If say, she is on 2 liters, you can bump it to 2.5 to compensate a little. They also have connectors so you can put together two 25's to get what you need.

The cannula should be changed at least once a week (they should have given you a bunch) but the straight tubing will last a very long time. Once a month someone should be coming out to check the machine and test the oxygen levels. That person should also be carrying supplies so be sure to ask for whatever you need.

The tanks are for portability. They can also be used in the event of power failure, but Medicare won't pay for that use, only portability. If for any reason, you can't get what you need, you can change suppliers. Every area usually has a few and you don't have to stick with the one your doctor or hospital recommends.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Call your electric company, since you are using life support equiptement the electric company will put you FIRST in the event of a outage. if a power failure occurs call them immediately and remind them of life support

Reply to
bob haller

Extra line is no problem. They gave me (2) 40' lengths. One gets her around either floor fairly well. But rather than dragging the concentrator up and down stairs several times a day I'd like to just use a 40' length on each floor-

I would still use the supplied tubing-- I just wanted an easy way to drop it through to the floor below. We're fortunate that the LR is right below the bedroom- so the 'base area' is the same day and night.

-snip-

They left lots of those and said the 'regular' guy would be out in a week or so. [She was discharged at 5PM with a tank- and the company was called. The driver called and said he'd be here in 4 hours- he got here a little after 9 and had 8 more stops to go. [from 7AM -- good kid, I sure wouldn't want *that* job.]

The hospital was cagey on this one. They made my wife pick from the 7 they had listed. She took the one that was founded by a gal her mom used to ride with in the local rescue squad. If they come through with a mask today- we'll stick with them. [can't believe they didn't include the mask-- and need a script to bring me one--- when she falls asleep her mouth opens, and she doesn't get any oxygen-- It seems to me that can't be that unusual.]

Sounds like you've been this way-- anything else we need to remember when the guy shows up next week?

Thanks- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Good idea-- I've got a roll in the garage-

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Thanks-- I think DD's 'improvement' will make that the quick-easy-good-enough solution.

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip

I should have held off on the generator and tried a medical deduction for it.

good point- I'll try to remember that.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I used to do new starts on weekends. Sometimes you did nothing, other times you got callas at all hours. Like the time I drove 40 miles at

11 PM because the elderly couple could not find the "on" switch on the unit after it was shut off earlier.

It is not that unusual and you don't really need a mask. The constant flow through the cannula gives enough oxygen that you will breath in a higher level through the mouth. Some people put the cannula on upside down to point the outlets towards the mouth.

Even though we need oxygen to live, you cant get it and some of the equipment without a script.

Be sure he shows you where the filter is so you can clean it every week or so. That is the only maintenance you have to do. If they did not show you already, learn how to change the portable tanks and regulator. If you are going to be going out a lot, there are some very small portable units that make it easier to do so. They use smaller tanks and are lighter and easily carried. They are expensive and since the company gets a fixed price, they are reluctant to give them to patients that don't need them.

If you do go out often, inquire about liquid oxygen. You have a large (70 pounds) canister at home and you fill a portable from it as needed. It is silent, it is easy to use. It is more costly and less convenient for the supplier so many are reluctant to give them to patients. They have to be filled every 7 to 10 days. We've used them when a patient went on a week long trip too by fitting it into their car.

You're welcome

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tubing needs to be medical grade as otherwise you could be poisoning your wife.

Also check on the code requirements as piping O2 around the house without meeting codes could void your insuance.

Reply to
NotMe

If the tax saving is sufficent there is always an ammended return.

Reply to
NotMe

The idea is to use an outside tube to penetrate the floor, to protect the oxygen line inside. It doesn't need to be medical grade at all, though I'd be a little concerned about a fire.

Good grief, more insurance fear-mongering.

Reply to
krw

Don't know if they both needed it-- but I am amazed at how important o2 is to any kind of coherent thought. My wife couldn't find the switch this morning.

-snip-

Ah thanks-- good tip. I'm glad you said that because that was essentially what the O2 place said and I would have been a little wary about it if I hadn't heard it here first.

I wonder if the abuses might be-- or is there just that good a medical o2 lobby. The hospital case manager is putting in a call to the o2 company -

The guy who dropped off the concentrator mentioned the filter and said it would go back tot hem for service in [6 months?] -- I'll poke around for a model number and see if I can confirm that before the other guy comes out.

He said they'd drop a couple of the smaller tanks [pocket-book size] but he just had the bigger ones on the truck.

I'll keep that in mind. See how the tanks and delivery work out--

appreciate your help- Help-

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

As long as it isn't a really long power loss there is no issue at least regarding oxygen since they included some tanks.

Reply to
George

The clear vinyl tubing is being recommended as a "sleave" through the floor/ceiling cavity - NOT as an oxygen line.

Reply to
clare

Check the code and best practices. Assmutions on ducting and conduit have been known to cause problems.

BTDT, burned once now twice sensitive.

Reply to
NotMe