Oxygen line between floors?

I would suggest being very careful and definitely checking with your wife's medical providers before putting on any kind of O2 mask at night. The machine puts out low-flow O2 via a nasal cannula which you can set to the proper setting, such as 2 LPM or whatever is prescribed. But, while that's on, the patient is also breathing in room air. With a mask on, it restricts the amount of room air that can be breathed in (sort of like breathing into a paper bag), and I doubt that the 2 LPM of O2 going into the mask would make up for the reduction in room air being inhaled.

So, unless there is some special mask for this type of situation that I don't know about, I would be concerned that placing a mask on at night could cause hypoxia (lack of oxygen). Of course, maybe there is some type of mask that would work in the type of scenario you are describing (sleeping at night and mouth breathing with a mask on), but I am not aware of one.

Reply to
TomR

-snip-

The o2 place didn't go into that much detail-- but from what they said, you are probably spot on. They said a mask would only be used with 6ml of o2-- and she is on 2.

Thanks-- I love it when this group is all that it can be.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Reply to
clare

My late friend GB had O2 from his machine running around the house with tubing but the problem he had was rolling over in his sleep and pinching off the oxygen supply to his cannula. He would wake up feeling quite uncomfortable only to realize there was a kink in the O2 line. My friend was a 71 year old Juvenal delinquent who would hide his smoking from me and his family even after losing a lung to cancer, the addiction was too strong. We all miss him. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Juvenal" geez, my friend was a funny guy but but not a Roman. The word "juvenile" described him more closely. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The one we had could easily be carried anywhere in the house. We could have bought it for $700 but it was rented by our insurance.

We didn't move it though. We placed it near the bottom of the stairs, and got enough tubing to reach anywhere in the house from there.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

As I understood it, our concentrator delivered a set volume, not a set pressure.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Not if he bought it before there was a medical reason.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Ours bubbled the oxygen through water. that was needed so it wouldn't be dry and it doubled as a filter. We had two of them--when one got low, switch and rinse the other. (And it never looked dirty)

Reply to
Wes Groleau

By the way, if you don't mind spending money for convenience, true portables are "only" a few thousand.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Perhaps you'd like to share with us the specifics of what exactly you did that voided your homeowners insurance.

Reply to
trader4

You are missing the goal of Jim's request. He wants some type of conduit to protect the actual oxygen tube as it passes through the floor/ceiling from the bedroom to the living room.

No on is suggesting that he replace the tubing that came with the generator.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
krw

Matters not the original intent. The point was that if it's not done to code and there is any damage that could/might be attributed to the install the insurance company can void the coverage and not pay damages.

Reply to
NotMe

Perhaps you missed the part where some of us asked for the details of your own experience with insurance that you're basing this on. The reason for this is that this assertion is thrown out here frequently by some folks. The typical assertion is that if one does some home repair and doesn't do it correctly, without a permit, etc, the insurance company will not pay out on the claim.

Now with the huge amount of work we all know gets done without permits, these cases should be popping up all over the place. Yet, I still have not seen a reference to a case.......

Reply to
trader4

I know what the point of the second part of your response was ("Also check on the code requirements as piping O2 around the house...") but that is not the part of your post that I was responding to.

I was specifically responding to "Tubing needs to be medical grade as otherwise you could be poisoning your wife."

Neither the OP (Jim) or me were talking talking about using the vinyl tubing as the oxygen line. We were takling about using the vinyl tubing for the sleeve he want's to install between floors. Yes, whatever he installs might be need some code clarification, but installing the vinyl *as a sleeve* is not going to poison his wife.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The only possible issue is requirement for fire-stop - which on single unit residential is not really an issue. Going between units would require the sleave to be fire-stopped - and even then - with only a half inch hole it's not much of an issue. Nothing that would trigger any problem with homeowners insurance in a single family dwelling - particularly with an open staircase between floors.

Reply to
clare

Yawn....Still waiting for specifics on your personal experience where insurance coverage was denied because some work was not done to code...... was denied

Reply to
trader4

I was responding only to your comment about poisoning his wife. The tubing he uses to create a sleeve between floors does not need to be medical grade.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They make squeezable hose clamps, although I don't kow if they work for the size hose you'll be using. You squeeze to open. shaped like a genie's bottle plus the finger parts.

But valves are readily available on the web.

Don't try to go through the joists. Other than that, I'll bet you can go years without much wear on the hose, and that the hose won't be expensive to replace every 5 or 10 years. By leaving slack, you can pull the hose out of the hole every year and see if it has abraded much. By firmly attaching the hose one or two feett away from the hole on each side, you can prevent any abraision except that caused by your house shaking. IOW, it might last 100 years.

That's why the hole should be just a little bigger than the hose, and no extra nail holes or anything. You can probably put it at the edge of at least one** of the rooms, like cable tv. **Where it will come out in the other room may take some work to predict. When I ran cable, I was able to drill a hole in a closet that came out just above a bookcase the previous owner had built. Had he built the bookcase a little "better" this couldn't have happened. I've had this co-axial cable groing from the 2nd floor to the first, and from the first to the basmenet, and from the basement back up to the kitchen. And from the 2nd floor up to the attic adn down throug the wall to the bathroom and the office, for 30 years, and haven't even considered checking on abrasion I'm sure there is no more than a micron or two.

They make 12" drills and longer, and 36" and flexible even , with a little hole near the tip, so you can drill the hole, pull back a piece of wire, attach that to the hose and pull it through the hole.

I hope your wife is feelign well. I've seen those oxygen concentrators advertised on tv, adn I looked them up in wikip. Just watching tv, it sounded like snake oill, but it's amazing. I'm not cleverr enough to think of such a thing.

Reply to
micky