Can wall oven be installed under cooktop?

Page 1 of 2
Hi! I am looking to install a wall oven under a cooktop. The cooktop's dimension is 2 inches height, with a cutout clearance below cooktop of 4.5". The wall oven has height of 29 1/16 inches, with a cutout height of 27 1/4".
I understand standard base cabinets comes in about 34". If I add the height of the cooktop + the clearance + wall oven height, that would come out to be a little over 35.5 inches, 1.5 inches taller than the base cabinet height. So it would seem that this would not work. However, I looked through the Sears.com site and am not able to find a shorter wall oven.
So my question: is it not possible to install wall oven under cooktop w/o custom-made cabinets? I see a lot of houses, as well the Sears show-room, with this setting. How are they done?
thanks, - Liz

Um, so why don't you just get a standard range? They're often less expensive than buying a cooktop or wall oven alone.

I can't get a standard range for 2 reasons:
1. I'm looking at induction cooktop. The only ones I can find are all cooktops and not standard ranges. 2. The cooktop will be sitting on an island. the ranges have a little backing so the island won't be a single flat surface.

Jenn-Aire makes ranges with inductive cooktops. They even make such a range that's designed to be built into cabinets on each side with the option of downdraft venting.
Doug

Can you provide a model number? They have plenty of electric ranges with smooth tops, but I couldn't find any ranges on their website with induction cooktops. And a google on "induction site:jennair.com" came up with 0 hits.
Thanks, Wayne
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:11:08 GMT, Wayne Whitney

I have a Jenn-Aire model S161 with the induction option. These ranges have "cartridges" allowing a choice of glass/ceramic top, conventional coil, solid ceramic elements and induction.
The induction cartridge part numbers include A130R (white), A135R (black)
Perhaps with the Maytag takeover of Jenn-Aire and the subsequent take-over of Maytag by Whirlpool, these models or options have been discontinued?
I'll have to research that myself.
Doug

Jenn-Aire told me that this model has been discontinued, and that their current modular ranges do not have any induction cartridges available. Bummer.
Cheers, Wayne
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:11:08 GMT, Wayne Whitney

They've probably discontinued the model Jenn-Air slide in range that I have. However, on their website I see their current model listed with optional top cartridges: JES9860BAS
Yet, in the online owner's manual, I do see various cartridge options available with no mention of induction. I suspect that a call to them would be in order since I know that the induction cartridges are still available via their parts department.
Doug
Liz wrote:

tell you how its done.
--
Grandpa

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this page has it set up that way: http://www.kraftmaid.com/rooms/index.cfm?navigationid !2XX&specieid=2&roomsceneidG5.
If you look at the cooking area, I dont think that's a standalone range but a cooktop on top of a wall oven, right?
I mainly saw this kind of set up in Sears showrooms. Also saw it in a couple of houses a while back.
thanks, - Liz
Liz wrote:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/rooms/index.cfm?navigationid !2XX&specieid=2&roomsceneidG5.
like a drop in oven with a trim kit. I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like an induction cook surface either. And to compound your problem further, you really don't have 34 inches for a cabinet height. There is a four inch toe kick at the bottom, so you really only have 30 inches for most standard kitchen counter heights. If you have really seen an induction cooktop over a wall oven, I'll be surprised. There's three basic types of oven range combinations; free standing, slide-in, and drop-in. After that, there are cooktops and wall ovens. I tried searching for an induction range/oven combination and came up as short as you seem to have.
--
Grandpa

Standard base cabinets are usually 34.5" with standard countertop elevation of 36". So 36 - 4.5 - 29 1/16 = 2.4375" leftover space. You'd just have to ask yourself if the oven you have hinges too low to be a good idea ergonomically speaking.

And if you use the cutout height for the oven (as maybe I should have done above), you have even more room.

Thank you. I guess my calculation method is incorrect...
With regard to the egornomic question, is this worse than a standalone range, where the oven is below the cooking surface?
thanks, - Liz

I'd think it'd be worse. Many wall ovens hinge near the bottom, whereas standalone ranges have doors that usually hinge above a storage drawer.
Liz wrote:

When we had our house built 9 years ago, we had the builder install a GE Profile 5-burner cooktop, with a 30-inch oven GE Profile electric wall oven installed in the cabinet below it. It was a fairly close fit, but it worked. So yes, it can be done.
--Steve

Have the cabinet guy laminate a riser in the counter top above the cabinet deep enough to take the cooktop.
On Aug 14, 6:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And just for the record, the pic in the supplied link looks like a stove consisting of a range and oven together. It doesn't look like a seperate range and wall oven to me.
On Aug 14, 4:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I dont think they are one unit. You can see the counter top going across. Here's another pic I found: http://www.essentialkitchendesign.com/portfolio/kitchens/small/index.html .
Thanks, - Liz
Liz wrote:

that you have an oven unit under a cook top. Still doesn't look like an induction cooktop though. IIRC, they are a bit deeper than most, which could interfere with putting an oven underneath. It looks very similar to the oven in the kraftmaid site; have you been able to find that particular oven?
--
Grandpa