Can I pick my kid's MASTER combination lock to re-use them

Page 3 of 3
On 8/21/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:

if you box them up and send them to master they will return them with the combos. I've done this a few times in my life.
Steve Barker

Now THAT is a great suggestion I had not ever imagined. Simple and straight-forward.
I was intriuged by the discovery method the OP was pursuing but it sure seems like a lot of fuss for a cheap lock. The factory return postage seems to be a reasonable alternative to endless dial twisting.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:59:49 +0000, Smarty wrote:

It would be. If it were true.
But it's a myth.
I just found that out by looking here: http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostCombinations /
Basically, when you buy a retail Master combination lock, it no longer has a serial number ... and if that's the case (which it is for me), the company will NOT tell you the combination no matter what you do.
At least that's how I read the FAQ.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:59:39 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

That wouldn't be any fun at all ... and who is on these newsgroups who isn't a fun kind of guy ... but if it isn't a myth, then it would serve the 'other' goal, which is to obtain the combination.
Looking for details to see if it is a myth, I go here: http://www.masterlock.com/services_and_support /
They have a FAQ with the exact question: http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostCombinations /
Q: I've forgotten the combination to my standard dial combination lock. How do I obtain the combination for personal use?
A: A) My lock does not have a serial number: To provide enhanced long–term security, Master Lock has discontinued imprinting a serial number on the lock body on combination locks sold through retail locations. For greater convenience, we encourage consumers to store their combination at our secure website, Masterlockvault.com, which is easy to use and offers 24/7 access. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide combinations for non–serialized locks, if the user did not register with Masterlockvault.com. Please see examples of a serial number or date code if you are unsure if your lock contains either one.
So, unless I read that answer wrong, it's a myth that you can just box up your retail-bought combination lock and send it to them.
Or did I read the FAQ wrong?
On 8/22/2012 6:27 PM, J.G. wrote:

it was I who suggested sending them back. but seeing as how you can buy a new one for less than the postage to send it back, I'd probably just shitcan the locks and buy some new ones now-a-days.
--
Steve Barker
On 21/08/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:

I cannot access the master lock web site to retrieve my combination, and members from this fine group, rightfully so I guess, are reluctant to look up the combination for me. The lock is positioned so I could easily damage the fabric of the bag if I slip with the hack saw blade, and trying out different combinations is VERY awkward.
So I guess we are both SOL!

computers and an Internet connection? No friends?
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:57:56 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

It's a myth that you can 'retrieve' your combination by any means from the manufacturer for retail combination locks that have no serial number.
But, they 'do' have a method for retrieving combinations for those with serial numbers. Unfortunately, mine don't have serial numbers.
Here's what this FAQ says: http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostCombinations /
B) My lock has a serial number: Use current instructions (see below). We recommend you validate whether your lock contains a valid serial number or date code prior to submitting a lost combination form.
Due to increased security concerns nationwide, Master Lock recognizes the heightened need for additional safety measures. We no longer provide lock combinations in response to phone, fax, or email requests. Please follow the procedure outlined below to obtain the combination to your lock and submit your request to:
Master Lock Warehouse 1600 W. La Quinta Rd Suite/WHSE # 1 Nogales, AZ 85621 Procedure:
Print out the Lost Combination Form from a printer friendly page, or download the PDF file. Have your Lost Combination Form notarized by a Notary Public to prove that you are the owner of the lock (you can include up to 6 combinations on one notarized form). Note: Inmates at a correctional facility - in addition to the lost combination form, you must submit your request on official prison letterhead. In lieu of notarization, the form must be signed by a prison official. Photocopy the serial number on the back case of your combination lock. This copy MUST clearly show that the lock is not attached to anything. Be sure to hand write the serial number on the photocopy. Mail the original completed, notarized Lost Combination Form and the photocopy of the back of your lock to the address above.
Note: It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to process your request for a combination.
Note: If the form is not fully completed and notarized with a raised seal or rubber stamped seal, or if the serial number is not legible on the photocopy, your request will not be honored. Master Lock does not reimburse for any Notary fees.
Store your combination at www.masterlockvault.com - a FREE service from Master Lock! The Master Lock Vault provides a safe & convenient place to store all of your confidential data for quick & easy access from your PC, iPhone, or any other mobile devices!
On 8/22/2012 9:38 AM, homepc wrote:

use a bolt cutter then.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:53:24 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

If this is serious, then if the key goal is to remove the lock, then just use the bolt cutter - as stated above. Cost is about $50 for the bolt cutter and another $5 for a new lock.
Bear in mind, you will NEVER get the manufacturer to give you the combination because they expressly say on their FAQ that they will never give you the combo if the lock is attached to anything.
So, if you're serious, your option is to spend a half hour reading how to figure out the combination on your own (like I did yesterday), and then practicing it.
Like all locksmithing ... practice makes perfect.
On 8/22/2012 9:38 AM, homepc wrote:

Use a Dremel Tool with a little abrasive metal cutoff wheel and slice carefully through the shackle of the lock. ^_^
TDD
Why? They aren't locked to any thing.
Use a Dremel Tool with a little abrasive metal cutoff wheel and slice carefully through the shackle of the lock. ^_^
TDD
On 8/25/2012 6:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The guy I responded said his was locked on to a bag he didn't wish to damage. O_o
TDD
No. Pitch em out.
In typed:

Take them to a locksmth.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:20:45 -0400, Twayne wrote:

That's no fun!
Only one person came close to resolving your problem.
I did this twice with a bunch of Master Locks, but keep in mind, this was many many moons ago.
I contacted Master Locks and provided them with all the serial numbers for the locks I had. I then had to let them know the closest Master Lock dealer in my area, which was a hardware store. They sent the combinations to the hardware store. I provided the locks along with my ID to the store and they handed me the combinations. As I stated, this was many moons ago and everything was sent snail mail. Now, they may simply send it email to the store "IF" they do it at all anymore.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:44:52 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On the manufacturer's web site is their FAQ which says they no longer offer 'any' service to open retail combination locks which do not have a serial number (i.e., mine).
They still 'do' offer that service for commercial locks which have a serial number.
I posted the URL in a prior post.
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:35:46 PM UTC-4, J.G. wrote:

Few people knew you could just look in the back so we reused them even though the chrome back was gone.
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:50:17 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang

like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't remember the combination to any of the padlocks. They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks. They're all locked but not locked to anything. There is no serial number that I can see. It just says "Hardened" on the hasp. Is there a method for finding the combination?

metal back that you could pry off by starting at the key hole. There was a heavy metal back under that bu tit had holes in it. You could use a flash light to look through the holes and line up the wheels so it would open.

You can drill a small hole in the back and do that a whole lot less destructively. It is easier to just shim the lock open and look through the shackle hole, line them up and then count back 13.