Can anyone Identify this?

We found this thing in our house when we moved in 20 years ago and don't know what it is.

Its made out of some sort of cast stone and weighs about 60 pounds.

Here an album of pics.

This pic is from the back.

It looks like a thin walled pipe came in from the front and was sealed to it.

Thanks

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

It's a mantle clock with out the clock, that's my guess!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Just a WAG here, but it looks like part of a fountain, or maybe the ornamental trim from the drain porthole coming off a flat roof. If somebody had a pipe mudded into the front, maybe they were trying to get the roof to drain away from the wall, so it wouldn't stain the brick/stucco or whatever. Backside looks awful clean for an item that was ever actually used, though. Did previous owner maybe work at a decorative concrete company or something like that? My gut says it got dragged home for a project that didn't work out.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Guess: Tombstone with provision for bronze insert.

Reply to
HeyBub

You would have to have a big ass mantle to support the thing. Just lifting the thing up to mantle height would require two people or a weight lifter doing a clean and jerk. :-)

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Just not right to be a tombstone. Its only about 18 inches tall.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

He was a ship's carpenter.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 03:10:38p, Cliff Hartle told us...

It looks like a headstone with a hole in it.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

The cat finally caught Tweety

Reply to
gfretwell

On 4/27/2008 3:10 PM Cliff Hartle spake thus:

I agree ith those who guessed it was a clock holder (though not a mantel clock; I agree with you that it's probably too big and heavy for that). Think about it: what else would fit in a round hole in an obviously decorative piece that serves no other evident purpose?

It was probably meant to be painted or glazed to look like old stone.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'd guess it was also intended to be an outdoor garden setting if that is the case altho I wouldn't rule out the headstone marker as a possibility.

--

Reply to
dpb

the clock idea sounds right. the ring of plaster? is what most likley held the time piece in.

Ok then where would such a piece go. I just weighted it and it weighs 74.5 lbs!!!

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

On 4/27/2008 5:18 PM dpb spake thus:

I would. It doesn't look *at all* like the kind of thing you'd find in a cemetary. Not at all in the same style; looks a lot cheaper.

Now, maybe it could be for a DIY backyard headstone ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote: ...

Having only dialup I only looked briefly at one picture and can certainly say I've seen a lot worse looking stuff than this by far in in public as well as private cemeteries.

That it was intended for it I certainly wouldn't claim necessarily, but I'd still not rule it out entirely...

My hunch is still for the garden sort of thing as most likely, though...

--

Reply to
dpb

What about a pet grave marker with space for a cylindrical container for mementos (or ashes or picture, etc) and a lower rectangular space for attaching a descriptive plaque?

Reply to
Erma1ina

In the garden. Perhaps with a thermometer or barometer in it instead of a clock.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looks more like something you would find in a cemetery to me.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Reply to
RVer Don

Ah. Pet tombstone, then.

Reply to
HeyBub

My guess is something that has to do with architectural masonry. Or a cemetery.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Cemetery (pet or otherwise) with (glass and brass) insert for a picture?

Reply to
pheeh.zero