Buying bulding materials" HD\Lowes vs. Builders Suppliers

Page 2 of 2

I am not sure what ytou mean by "be more beneficial in the long run". I am not going to build anything big in next probably 30 years. What I worry about is now. If I call local lumber yard and quote them for a XYZ 2 X 4. Besides price how do I compare them to HD/Lowes?
But you still have to do this project and it is not a one time buy in most cases. Go and talk to them. Look at the materials, especially the wood. Ask them about their quality from the mill.
-snip-

-snip-
You're building a "big addition". Don't call. Drive. The few hours you spend now by going to the lumberyard and asking to speak to their projects/contractors/whatever desk will be repaid in time and aggravation 10 times over by the time your project is done.
These guys do this stuff every day- and some have been doing it for 50 years. They will save you time and money and make your addition a better job than you can even with the help of a.h.r.
Do you notice the theme here in this thread? A cross section of amateurs and professionals are mostly in agreement that you will be further ahead by checking out a lumberyard. Take a couple hours and see what they know.
Jim

Quality, Service, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. Something you will find in a real lumber yard, plus easier to contact via a simple phone call.
"Hey Jim Bob! You sent the wrong bundle of lumber. Can you bring the correct bunch in the morning and pick these up for return?"
Jim Bob: "Be there a 7 o'clock in the morning with the material for you."
"Thanks! P.S. I'm going to send back a Lam Beam for credit."
Jim Bob: "Sure thing."

I'm in Calgary, Canada. Here, there is no contest. Take your plans to a building suppplier and he will do a material take off and quote the entire package. They stage deliveries to your specs ...and deliver to the work area.
Rona, Home Depot and the others are strictly for retail consumers -- small quantities. Some box stores ie Totem will attempt a material takeoff, but their results are mixed. The box stores' idea of delivering is to drop the materials at the curb.
Ken