Buying a smaller home AC filter

Hello,
My new Carrier AC (model FK4) came with a custom sized AC filter which appears to be made from low quality blue fiber glass. It is about 21 1/8 x 24x1 Does anyone think there will be any problems with installing a standard 20x24x1 filter? I purchased a cheap fiber glass filter as a test from a local home center and it appears to have fit. I would like to purchase a better quality filter but before I spend the money I what to be sure there will be no long range problems.

be
Nice of your installer to give you something non-standard.
WW Grainer, Johnstone supply and Ace Hardware all have filter media on rolls. I would buy one and cut and fit to size. Smaller could allow dirt to pass and clog the coil.

test
Wrong. It is standard. It's what comes pre-installed in the unit.

Just don't install anything that will allow air to bypass the filter media and don't install a filter that will restrict air flow.
- Robert

be
The filter that came with your unit, is the standard filter that is supplied for the unit...altho, it might be hogs hair and not fiberglasss...depends on the model.
Fiberglass filters are fine, as long as you change them as required. There will be arguements about the need for service using the fiberglass filters, but your unit will need service ANYWAY, no matter what filter you use.
And yes...if your installer did not allow for say...the 3M filters, or the pleated paper or another type that will reduce airflow to the unit, there can be some short term problems that could get expensive since it would be deemed abuse, or the use of a product that caused the damage, and you need to check with the installer.

My 2 FK4CN Carrier Air handlers each took a 2" pleated filter when new. When replacing them I first used the cheap blue throwaways @ 97 cents ea. Changed them every month. Later an AC tech friend gave me an electrostatic model which you rinse out. I was able to cut it to fit. Never did get around to cutting the second one. Was using up the 97 cent'ers first and then sold the house.
We have a new place with a 14 SEER AmStd (Trane) system and went with the electrostatic again from HD: 20 x 25 x 1 I think you'll find the "standard" is 20 x 25" x 1"