Busted my carport support beam.

I did a dumb thing. I backed my car into one of the vertical beams that supports the roof of my carport. It broke off level with the ground and level with the bumper of my car. The 4x4 beam was set about a foot into the ground and extended from that point to the roof. The new beam wants to set in that same, foot deep hole but it won't go. The beam needs to be perfectly vertical in order for the beam - hole angle to be correct for insertion. I cannot get the beam perfectly level because the top of it hits the roof before it gets to proper position.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reply to
coustanis

build a temp support beam to lift the roof an inch or so

be careful!!!!

Mark

Reply to
Mark
  1. It's a post or column, beams are horizontal (sorry, it's the engineer in me)
  2. Can you just dig the hole larger? If it's concrete, you may have to break it up and repour some new concrete around your new post rather than trying to just fit it in the existing hole.
  3. as a LAST RESORT, maybe... just maybe, IF you can jack up that corner of the carport (use a jack and as much of the old post as is in good condition), you might be able to wiggle the new post in. 12" of jacking will put a lot of stress on the rest of the carport, especially if it's attached to the house and not free-standing so I can't really recommend this as a good idea without seeing the situation. It can also be dangerous if the post isn't squarely placed on the jack, things can fly rather quickly if they slip out under load. I only mention it as an alternative to digging the hole larger. Depending on your specific situation, digging the hole larger will probably be the better of the two ideas.
Reply to
louie

(A) Pound out enough cement on one side so that you can slide the beam in place and then tip it upright and hammer it vertical. Optionally patch the part you sledged out after the post is in. (B) Fill the hole with cement and a metal post-bracket, and shorten the beam to fit. (C) Cut the beam in half, shove the two halves in place, and splice it with metal plates. Hide the splice with a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. (D) Shove a shorter beam in the hole, and pound a wooden shoe in at the top with a sledgehammer.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

coustanis wrote:

You could install it in two pieces. Here's a picture giving you the rough idea:

Sorry it's a sucky picture, but I was shocked when I did my search to find people calling everything from rabbet and hidden dovetail joints lap joints. Sheesh.

Anyway. Jack up the carport a half inch or so and make a note of exactly how much you jacked it up. Cut the bottom piece of the post to be about two-thirds of the height of the full length post or more. You do not want the lap joint in the middle of the post. The lap should be about 18" long. Cut the lap on the bottom piece and top piece and test the fit before you install them. Make sure the cuts are accurate so the post will be straight. Leave the top piece long, set it aside. Install the bottom piece into the hole. Measure the remainder - top of bottom piece to bottom of carport in its jacked up position. Deduct the amount you made note of when you jacked it up and cut the top piece to length. Clamp the two pieces in place and make sure the post is straight and plumb. Drill for a couple of 1/2" throughbolts - drill countersink holes for both ends so that the washers under the head and nut fit inside and the whole shebang does not protrude at all from either face of the post. Separate the two pieces and use a goodly amount of epoxy or construction adhesive on all faces of the lap joint. Put the pieces back in place and bolt them together making sure the post is straight. Let it set up overnight, then lower the carport roof back down onto the post. You may want to install a metal framing anchor, such as those made by Simpson Strongtie, to hold the top of the post to the carport roof support beam (a must if you are in an area with strong winds or seismic disturbances). I'd cover the post for cosmetic reasons, but that's up to you.

RicodJour

Make up a post with a 2' 2x4 screwed to a 6' 2x4 for the top and another pair for the bottom. Install the bottom part, then screw the top part to it.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

In addition to what's been said...you could do something like this: (please forgive the feable attempt of ASCI art...

|\\/\\/\\/\\| | | | ___| | | |---| | | |---| |___| ___ | | |---| | | |---| ___| | | | | | |\\/\\/\\/\\|

The jest is that you would put a short post in the hole that you could maneuver around. The shoulder on the top post and the shoulder on the bottom post would align. Bolt them together, (counter sink the nuts for a cleaner appearance). Pour your concrete or backfill with rock as you would of done with a "new" post. IF the original was only one foot in the ground, this could be a good time to set it deeper if needed, or at least pour a pad in the bottom of the hole before setting the post in the hole.

Regardless...good luck...and watch out those jumping posts, (the kind that jump in front of your vehicle!)

Darwin

Reply to
DAC

My initial idea was to take a length of 4x4 that, when inserted into the hole would be flush with the ground. Then fasten the rest of the length to it with a proper metal post bracket.

Reply to
coustanis

Yeah, cut the post put it in place and the splice it -- 2x4 on each side or angle iron. Sounds like you are replacing the complete post, but you needed to only cut the hanging part of the post flat, install a short piece in the hole, and add supports (splice).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

(Slightly cheeky) cut a 5" by 5" hole in roof of carport exactly over the hole in the ground, get up on top and drop it straight down into hole..

Reply to
Jack

Laminate beams might give you more options when it comes to peicing it in, they cost more too.

Barry

Reply to
chickenwing

First off..... LEARN TO DRIVE !!! Did you call the police on yourself and contact your insurance agent?

Second, you are NOT going to get it in the hole unless you dig more of a hole at an angle next to it. Your other option would be to put the post in the ground with one foot sticking above the ground. Then put another on top to the roof. Get steel pieces a foot long and bolt the two together.

Third I just decided to revoke your drivers license. Please mail it to your local Police Dept. with a note attached that reads

"I (your name) am an idiot and am not qualified to drive. My license was just revoked over the internet. Please accept my license as proof that I am incapable of driving a car. Please issue me a citation, giving me the highest penalty allowed by law. I deserve to be punished. If you have any questions, please calle me at (your phone number)".

Since it was ridgidly mounted in a hole in the floor, it almost certainly broke in at least two places, one above and one below the bumper.

Reply to
Goedjn

Taper the end of the column. Since you need it to go 12" in you need to remove a wedge shape from the bottom. Think on it a while and you'll come up with just the right profile. After tipping the pole into the hole, backfill the void with a wooden wedge (pounded in) or a little concrete, filler or sand etc.

Once attached to the roof, it shouldn't tip (unless all the poles are loose) and all force should be straight down. You could always reinforce it laterally with some diagonal supports.

Reply to
PipeDown

Others have pretty well covered the options for getting the post in place. It is very important not to forget that the posts not only hold the roof up, they also hold it down. If not well secured the roof will lift in high winds. I speak from experience! :-( Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Install (RapidSet Set 45) a Simpson EPB44 (not an EPB44A, they suck) in place & just slide a new post into position.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Obviously a superior solution. I renounce my previous post (except for the part about using a connector at the post/beam connection).

RicodJour

[...]

Your point?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon