Burning barrel.

After mentioning the need to replace our 3 to 5 year old steel trash burning barrel, someone just gave me one. Free! However; it is heavy gauge and galvanized! My question is whether this barrel, when it gets good and hot, melting/burning the zinc galvanizing and so possibly giving off toxic fumes? In order to use any barrel for trash burning (Only when fires are permitted; not during dry/fire hazard conditions) one end is removed using a cold chisel and or electric chop saw. Any comments or advice much appreciated. Terry.
Any zinc fumes that come off the galvinzed surface will be in the smoke of the fire.. I suppose that if you inhaled enough of that smoke it could do some harm..
I was a welder for many years and encountered zinc fro galvinized metal.. It ain't pleasant and can be harmful if you get enough..
BTW.. The first few times you have a hot fire going will get rid of the galvinizing and then you won't have to worry any more..
--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve

Steve wrote:

Thanks Steve; wasn't trying to be an eco-freak. Just what I hoped was a practical question. Re welding as you mention; galvanized metal is used all over and has to produced by industrial processes which probably produces more pollution, per unit of zinc used than me burning a bit of garbage and standing well clear of the barrel (cos of some smoke) anyway! Regards. Terry.
And where is it that it's lawful to burn trash? In NC, it's OK to burn vegetation that grew on the same site, but not in city limits, and it's OK to burn logs in a fireplace, or clean material in a barrel if it's for warmth such as at a construction site on a cold day, but it's never OK to burn trash. Trash gives off a tremendous amount of toxic fumes.

I have a burn barrel in rural Oregon. I don't believe its legal any more however I am still using it often. One of these days I am going to install a trash burner in one of my buildings. Inside burning is still legal.

install
Common here in IA.
The easiest way to cut the barrel top is by using a 24" pipe wrench and a shop hammer.
--
Steve Harris
Bastrop, LA

more

My advice is to stop using a burn barrel. Those things are about the biggest poluters in the world. They burn at such a low temperature that they release a lot of harmful particulates in to the air. This is the 21 St. century and there are 6 billion people now. You can't just burn your trash in your backyard like some hick from 50 years ago. I think they should be outlawed.
Greg
One of the most common reasons for burning trash (or for tossing it into the ditch on the back roads) is the outragious fees they charge to pick it up.. Or for disposal at the county collection stations.
The rural garbage pickup in my area (western WA) is $4-5 a week for a single 20 gal can. That may not seem like much to most working people, but for a retired person on a limited income that's a lot for a single half full kitchen size garbage bag..
I have tried cancelling the pick up and hauling it a 1/4 mile to the 'transfer station' but the fee is vary arbitrary and generally ends up being a about $3-4 for a 20 gal garbage can.
My solution?? Well I don't drive down the back roads and dump my garbage like many do. I made a special arrangement with the rural garbage pick up contractor to only pickup at my place once a month.. Same fee as for weekly, $4.50/mo. I have to really struggle to cram 4 kitchen bags into a 20 gal can.
Steve

Wait for garbage cans to go on sale at Ace and buy a few more. I have 7 cans for 5 people. One each for aluminum, plastic, glass, and newspaper, and 3 for garbage. I also have an area for cardboard. Maybe once every 6 weeks I make a run to the transfer station. I sell the recyclables and pay to dump the trash. It costs me a few bucks when all is said and done. Soon I'm putting in a compost bin and I can probably go for two months with out a dump run.
Greg
They're beneficial if used properly.
Limit your burning to junk mail, cardboard, paper, scrap wood. (ie no plastics)
By using a burning barrel, you reduce the waist going to landfills and the ash can be beneficial to gardens. You also save gas by not having to go to the dump as often.
snipped-for-privacy@windsweptsoftware.com (Greg DeBacker) wrote in message

burning anything that has been galvanized is asking for trouble. although it may not get hot enough to burn the galvanized metal, it will give off a toxic smell that can make you extremely sick to your stomach. I cut galvanized metal such as guiderail along the road and it will make you throw up if you breath it in without a respirator. drinking milk helps relieve the symptoms but believe me it not pleasant.