Bum toilet seat

Page 1 of 3

A number of years ago I made a wooden toilet seat from some really nice tiger maple.
The finish is still great on it except for one place about an inch long where the lid touches the tank top...the tank top protrudes slightly and has worn not only the lid finish but the wood itself.
One of these days I'm going to refinsh the lid and am looking for ways to avoid the lid/lid wear. About all I can think of is to stick on something soft - like a soft plastic table foot - to the front of the tank top. That would work OK but not look great. Any other ideas?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Clear, self-adhesive cabinet door/drawer bumpers? I put one of those near the top of a bathroom door casing to keep from scarring the adjacent upper cabinet door. If I ever noticed it, I quickly forgot it.
Dave in Houston

Aside from the looks, there's the risk that it will cause the seat and lid to fall down unexpectedly. We used to get that when extremely wide magazines were left on top of the tank. My husband says it can be quite alarming to see the seat start to fall--the hand he's inclined to use to prevent its fall is already in use.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

:)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Reshape the seat? Or does it have to touch the tank to stay up?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Right.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe a different mount assembly, then? One that will hold the seat up on its own?
dadiOH wrote:

How about using lock nuts on the through bolts, so that you can snug the pivot point a bit such that the lid will stay in any position, without having to be opened all the way to the point where it will touch the tank? Might even then be possible to fab and install some sort of limiter on the pivot point so that the seat won't go all the way back to the tank.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

You mean on the tube upon which the lid rotates? No bolts, alas, just a chrome tube that rotates inside the sleeved ends on the gizmo that bolts through the porcelain and has the hinges.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Nuts. And I thought I'd get this week's award for clever thinking.
Hell - bend the damned chrome tube a bit. Toilet seats are a lot like sex - a little friction is good for the action.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
LOL. I can see it now. A partially raised toilet lid. (hmmm. I wonder if this is "safe")
Max (untrusting of "half measures")
dadiOH wrote:

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
LSMFT wrote:

On top of my tiger maple? *NEVER*
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Smitty Two wrote:

That's not a bad idea, need more tiger maple though.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

See Tiger Woods maybe....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Keep the seat and replace the wretched toilet. Sounds to me like a crappy design.
Joe

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we flushed out the bad puns.

I wouldn't waste my time with puns.
Max
On 4/28/2010 1:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You're plumb crazy but probably feel trapped because no one ever tanks you.