Bum toilet seat

A number of years ago I made a wooden toilet seat from some really nice tiger maple.

The finish is still great on it except for one place about an inch long where the lid touches the tank top...the tank top protrudes slightly and has worn not only the lid finish but the wood itself.

One of these days I'm going to refinsh the lid and am looking for ways to avoid the lid/lid wear. About all I can think of is to stick on something soft - like a soft plastic table foot - to the front of the tank top. That would work OK but not look great. Any other ideas?

Reply to
dadiOH

Clear, self-adhesive cabinet door/drawer bumpers? I put one of those near the top of a bathroom door casing to keep from scarring the adjacent upper cabinet door. If I ever noticed it, I quickly forgot it.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Aside from the looks, there's the risk that it will cause the seat and lid to fall down unexpectedly. We used to get that when extremely wide magazines were left on top of the tank. My husband says it can be quite alarming to see the seat start to fall--the hand he's inclined to use to prevent its fall is already in use.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Reshape the seat? Or does it have to touch the tank to stay up?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How about using lock nuts on the through bolts, so that you can snug the pivot point a bit such that the lid will stay in any position, without having to be opened all the way to the point where it will touch the tank? Might even then be possible to fab and install some sort of limiter on the pivot point so that the seat won't go all the way back to the tank.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Paste a piece of flat rubber over the defect.

Reply to
LSMFT

Right.

Reply to
dadiOH

:)

Reply to
dadiOH

You mean on the tube upon which the lid rotates? No bolts, alas, just a chrome tube that rotates inside the sleeved ends on the gizmo that bolts through the porcelain and has the hinges.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's not a bad idea, need more tiger maple though.

Reply to
dadiOH

On top of my tiger maple? *NEVER*

Reply to
dadiOH

Nuts. And I thought I'd get this week's award for clever thinking.

Hell - bend the damned chrome tube a bit. Toilet seats are a lot like sex - a little friction is good for the action.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

LOL. I can see it now. A partially raised toilet lid. (hmmm. I wonder if this is "safe")

Max (untrusting of "half measures")

Reply to
Max

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we flushed out the bad puns.

Reply to
Robatoy

I wouldn't waste my time with puns.

Max

Reply to
Max

You're plumb crazy but probably feel trapped because no one ever tanks you.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

tick on something

You could replace the tank top with a wooden one, carved to the seat contour. There are vinyl trim moldings (for cars) that could affix to the tank below the top, that could be regarded as a decorative bumper. Or, you could rebuild the seat support so as to make the first ever toilet seat that flips up to the side...

Reply to
whit3rd

See Tiger Woods maybe....

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

A moment of creative genius, inspired by whit3rd's words...

Hinge it in the front! Flip it forward, towards you. Think about the benefits - no more drips on the floor 'cause you'll have to stick it through the hole to pee. Create hours of entertainment for all the boys in the family as they stand back 3 feet and pee through the hole. (Better than writing your name in the snow). Hours of hillarious laughter as you watch your wife struggle to get he butt in place...

Reply to
Mike Marlow